Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows is starting up...But never starts up..

• Please log in to reply

Uifz

Uifz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. Yesterday I had done a scan with Spyware doctor to scan my computer for spyware infections. While it found some infections, Spyware Doctor said it had to restart for the process to take place. So I restart and then Window XP Professional Loads up...Then i get a message box on the title of the box: "Please Wait" And the message says: "Windows is starting up..." But I wait andw ait and wait, and Windows never starts up. So I waited 5 minutes and finally I said okay maybe it froze so I turn off/turn back on and same results. Waited 30 minutes, nothing still. So then I tried again this morning, waited an hour and still nothing..

What can or better yet should I do?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you boot into safe mode?
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur in safe mode?

if you can y ou may want to drop by the malware forum to make sure you're clean
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Uifz

Uifz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Same problem occurs in SafeMode as well. I don't think it's a virus, but if it is or any other type of malware problem I wouldn't be able to do anything. I cannot get the operating system to load. It gets stuck...

Edited by Uifz, 14 August 2006 - 12:46 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how about safe mode with command prompt?

Uifz

Uifz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hmm. I've never tried that before, how does that work?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in the safe mode menu..there should be an option for "safe mode with command prompt" if it works..all you'll get is a screen with c:\ and a blinking curser....if you can do that let me know

Uifz

Uifz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes I am able to do that, any suggestions you may have?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

<credit for canned speach ~ Keith>