Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error loading operating system

• Please log in to reply

innocence

innocence

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I dropped my laptop and when i turnned it on it keeps saying error loading operating system, help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how far did you drop it from?
do you have your XP disk? (actual xp disk prefereable to system restore disk)
can you get into bios (press either f2 or del during boot up) if so is your HD detected there?

innocence

innocence

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

how far did you drop it from?
do you have your XP disk? (actual xp disk prefereable to system restore disk)
can you get into bios (press either f2 or del during boot up) if so is your HD detected there?

Well i dropped it off my bed so about half a metre.
I possiblily could have an but i couldn't use it anyways as i can get passed the error loading system.
I pressed F2 like you said so and i'm unsure what the HD detected is...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as soon as you hit the power button to turn on the the computer press f2 repeatedely (like once a second) untill you either see the bios menu (text menu) or the error

if you get the error...turn the machine off and do the same as above but with the del button...if you still don't get into bios...

is the laptop under warranty?

innocence

innocence

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I pressed f2 and the BIOS setup utility appears what do i do now??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
within bios can you search for the ide configuration or something of that nature and see what it's detecting? look to see if you can see the model number of your hard drive...it's quite possible that your hard drive is not being detected which would cause it not to load the OS...

if you can open the laptop make sure that the HD is plugged in

lawnman

lawnman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have this same problem! I dropped my laptop flat at a height of about 1 foot or so. I get this when I try to boot up. Any help will be greatly thankful.

Thank you
Mark

Attached Thumbnails

• dell_pic.jpg

Edited by lawnman, 06 December 2006 - 10:42 AM.

lawnman

lawnman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Also I do not have a boot disc! or a warranty. I bought this laptop off ebay and its been a good one till I dropped it. It is a dell inspiron 4100 if that helps any!!
Thank you
Mark

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try reseating the memory...should be a window on the bottom...

Edited by happyrck, 06 December 2006 - 11:27 AM.

lawnman

lawnman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Is there a panel i have to remove? I dont see anything open for a reset

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Is there a panel i have to remove? I dont see anything open for a reset

should be a panel on the bottom of the case...you may have to get to the computer manufactures website and look in the manual for your particular system for the how to remove or replace the memory ...its reseat not reset the memory...IE: remove and then put it back in

Edited by happyrck, 06 December 2006 - 12:00 PM.

lawnman

lawnman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK I did that and it said that the memory had changed and I proceeded. And in the end I still get the same result. I even tried it several times to be sure. Any other suggestions? It acts like its going to boot up, the windows symbol comes up and then the blue screen and the computer starts rebooting on its on. Would it boot up if I had a cd to boot with?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
without the restore disk or restore partition...then I'm afraid you did physical damage to the hard drive and you will probably have to replace the drive and also buy windows to install on the new drive...maybe someone else has some ideas for you to try....

did you do what dsenette suggested...open the case and be sure the drive is plugged in...

lawnman

lawnman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I have tried everything and I finally just took the laptop to a repair shop and they had a harddrive that he could try in mine. It will boot up with the replacement hard drive but there still seems to be something wrong with the memory. I am going to order a new harddrive and possibly new memory cards and do the work myself. Now my question now is How large of a harddrive can I use in my laptop? and what would be the recomended memory if and when I replace the memory? My harddrive now is 20gb and memory is 2 at 128mb.

Thank you
Mark

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your best bet would be to go to the manufactures website and in their support section or contacts...look for a phone number and find out what your model will support..