Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Linksys Routers

• Please log in to reply

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm trying to get my main linksys router to let my secondary router work while going though it. I'm a computer n00b. I disabled the dhcp and the second one worked, it was connected to port 01 on the first router (non-wireless one) and first port on the second one (wireless). It worked but then the first wouldn't work right.

Ok basically im asking what I need to do to make them fully work with each other. I know i need to change the default ip on them so they dont conflict ect. But screw it up when I try. And i assume other things need to be done to..

If someone could give me simple step by step instructions on how connecting these two is accomplished I would be extremely grateful. Since any imformation on this subject seems kinda hazy if your not familiar with things Except hearing you need a switch/hub or crossover cable. But i know that both routers can be made to work while connected directly to each other using a regular ethernet cable.

Edited by Insane Guy X, 14 August 2006 - 03:38 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts
I can't give you step by step instructions since it depends on the devices, which I have not used. I have done a similar thing though.

You can use dhcp on both, but you have to make sure that there is not a conflict between the two. You could set a range of 1-100 on the first one and 101-200 on the second one.

You may need to use the wan port on the wireless router, but it may not work. I know that you can connect the two since a local business has the same thing you are doing, but I am not sure of the setup they used.

You should be able to set the default IP address to different numbers on each one. You might need to directly connect each one to your machine separately, then connect the two together.

I am not sure that you would need a crossover cable since I did not need it with mine. You need to try connecting the two and see if it works.

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks Kemasa I got it to work, I only hope it stays that way. I just hope I learn more as I go along and it stays working!

Once again I thank you on behalf of my consciousness!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts
You are welcome. Just don't change anything and it should stay working :-).