Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Computer says Invalid System Disk..Please Read

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Windows ME is installed on it and the computer doesn't booot at all

it says Invalid Systme Disk

I lost the disk anc can't find anyone that has it to borrow it

So I just want to install XP on it since its a better OS an to just get it Back and running

now would I have to buy an Windows XP Upgrade For it Or just the OS itselff to install it?

And where can I get the best deal of buying it?

Thanks alot for reading

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Charliee03...

Is there a floppy disk in the floppy drive? You can get that error when you boot with non-boot diskette in the drive.

Unless you have a previous Windows version CD in your posession, you will need to purchase the full install version of XP. You can use an upgrade cd to do a clean install, but you will be asked to insert an earlier version cd during the installation for verification...any earlier version will do.

wannabe1

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Try Tigerdirect.com for OEM versions of XP. These may require a hardware purchase to buy and the licencing says it is only good for the machine it is installed on (this means if you build a machine to replace this one you have to purchase a new licence to go with it). I just purchased one with a new mainboard for a system I'm building a customer for $90 US (XP home OEM) at PartsPC.com. XP Pro runs about $140 OEM at most vendors. Here is a shameless plug for Linux. If you want a Windows like system and don't mind spending the money give Xandros 4.0 a try. At $40 it's the most Windows like version I've tried and one of the easiest to install. I installed it on an old PIII machine with Gforce TNT2 pci grafics card and 256mg of SDRAM on a 120GB hdd for my nephew's birthday and it works great. The Codeweaver software for Office worked fine with Office 2003 in the trial version but at $69 and the price of Office in seemed like an epensive add-on when Open Office is freely availabe and is part of the extra .iso that you can order or download.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hi Charliee03...

Is there a floppy disk in the floppy drive? You can get that error when you boot with non-boot diskette in the drive.

Unless you have a previous Windows version CD in your posession, you will need to purchase the full install version of XP. You can use an upgrade cd to do a clean install, but you will be asked to insert an earlier version cd during the installation for verification...any earlier version will do.

wannabe1

Nope its been like that for a while Ive looked up the problem and the only thing I couldnt try to fix was re installing the files with the Windows ME cd an nobody I kno has that disk so it's not really worth buying a Windows ME disk. This happend about 4-5 months ago..Now i want to get it back and Runnning as a back up computer...theres no point of havving it just sitting around when its a good computer.

I appreaciate your replys.