Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious defragmentation issues!

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Each time I Defrag, upon completion there are always 13 Files that cannot be defragmented. There are 3 examples below. A windows message tells me that If I use these files frequently, there might be a large impact on my system performance. So, what can I do to get these files defragmented? My OS is Windows XP (Home Version). Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

P.S. Would Running Defrag in Safe Mode make a difference? Just a thought. :whistling:

-----------------------

Fragments = 5 ----- File Size = 73 MB ----- File that cannot be defragmented = \WINDOWS\Driver Cache\I386\DRIVER.CAB

Fragments = 4 ----- File Size = 15 MB ----- File that cannot be defragmented = \System Volume Information\_restore}\SNAPSHOT\_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE

Fragments = 4 ----- File Size = 15 MB ----- File that cannot be defragmented = \System Volume Information\_restore{\SNAPSHOT\_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE *(Different Registry Number)

(I left the numbers out of the files for security reasons. I don't know if it matters but I decided not to take any chances) :blink:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Running in safe mode would be good, you could run disc clean up first

Holy Marcell

Holy Marcell

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
You cannot defrag these (registry)files because they are in use.
Mostly there is no need to defrag them.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks Keith, and Holy Marcell. But you seem to differ with your suggestions. Keith, I always run a disk clean up, and I do a do a disk scan before I defrag. About 4 months ago I upgraded this PC from Winows ME to XP (Home Ed.), and when I had Windows ME I had to run in Safe Mode every time in order to defrag. So I am wondering if I still have to, even with the XP upgrade. But Holy says I don't need to defrag these because they are registry files that are in use, but doesn't safe mode prevent programs from running, and doesn't that also include the registry files? I also have 10 other files that will not Defrag, so I am thinking maybe I should go the Safe Mode route? I don't think it can hurt. :whistling: Any comments? Thanks. :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will have less running in safe mode, you should get the defragmentation complete message, not it was unable to defragment everything

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks Keith (and Holy Marcell), for spending some of your valuable time helping me out with this issue. Have a great day. :whistling: