Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Urgently need, Many XP Problems

• Please log in to reply

dezjay

dezjay

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I Am borrowing a mates computer to fix it, as he has no clue what so ever on what to do.
I have some knowledge on PC but im stumped aswell

When I turn the PC on i get the xp loading screen with the blue bar going across it,
the problems are

1. This stops and stays frozen, so i have to restart computer 3 or 4 times to get past this screen

2. when I finally get past this screen I get to my desktop, This then Freezes and have to restart the computers again,

3. In the unlikly event i actually get a program running it freezes up after about 5 minutes

I have reset the bios setting to fail safe (F6) but the problem remains, I dont have the windows XP install disc as someone else installed XP on this computer for my mate, and has dissapeared.

So any help given will be great

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does the problem remain when starting in safe mode?
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

dezjay

dezjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The freeze doesnt happen in Safe mode, and works fine, but when i restart from safe mode it freezes up again

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so EVERYTHING is fine in safe mode...no lockups or restarts or anything of that nature?

dezjay

dezjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Everything "seems" to be fine in safe mode, I cant run Nero to burn cds in safe mode though ....can I????

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may be able to...i don't use nero so i can't say yae or nae on that one...

there's something at startup that's causing issues...we can try to find out what that is if you like

dezjay

dezjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes Please
Just tell me what to do
I am on a public computer in my local library at the moment, as i have no internet conection at home, so i will have to follow instructions and report back tomorrow

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...print this stuff out as it's gonna be a long process

do start > run > msconfig

on the general tab
tick selective startup > untick everything below it (leave the one for "use original boot.ini" ticked > press ok..then restart into normal mode
does it start up fine? no lock ups etc..?

if it starts up fine do

on the general tab
tick "process system.ini file"
press ok..then restart into normal mode

if it starts up fine do

on the general tab
tick "process win.ini" file

if it starts up fine do

on the general tab
tick "load system services"

if it starts up fine do

on the general tab
tick "load startup items"

if it starts up fine (which it shouldn't because this is probabl ywhere the problem is...but still...do this process in this order)
then we'll have to figure something else out

if at any point during this process (of reticking things) the system hangs like it was doing then

switch to the tab of the last item that you enabled on the general tab before it started locking up (i.e. if you ticked "process win.ini" saved and restarted...and now it's locking up you would switch to the win.ini tab in msconfig) and untick everything that shows up in that tab...now apply and restart the computer...if it loads up fine
go back to that tab and retick each item one at a time...applying and restarting after you tick each individual one untill the hangups happen again...when you find the item that's causing the hangup post h ere and let me know...if you have any problems during this process...post here and let me know

dezjay

dezjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK I will get back to you Tomorrow, with the results.
Thanks for the Help, talk soon

dezjay

dezjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Done everything you told me yesterday, Safe mode was being affected by this after all, after about an hour, and 100 or so restarts

I did msconfig----> on the general tab
tick selective startup > untick everything below it (leave the one for "use original boot.ini" ticked > press ok..then restart into normal mode

I cant untick "process win.ini" but the rest have been unticked

It has stopped stalling on the XP start up screen but as soon as my desktop shows, It freezes up, Does the same when I restart in safe mode.

Edited by dezjay, 16 August 2006 - 10:11 AM.