Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla/Firefox

• Please log in to reply

Liam

Liam

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
[size=7]

Hello again.

Between 6 and 12 months ago, I downloaded and began using Mozilla Firefox as my browser instead of IE. Until one month ago, I was very pleased with Firefox. Then it started crashing (shutting down) after about 5-10 minutes of use.

When it crashes, I get a window asking if I'd like to send a message to Mozilla about the incident, etc. I click on Send or Don't Send for no reason at all except how I feel at that moment. I have never received a response and can't seem to find any help on the Mozilla web site.

I am running XP Prof with no new programs istalled since switching to mozilla. I created a new profile in Firefox, thinking that might help. I didn't!!!

I use my machine for word processing, excel and e-ail. Nothing exotic, etc. I am using Webroot Spy Sweeper, Webroot Window Washer and Trend Micro PC- cillin anti-virus programs and they are all current versions.

I would like to continue using Firefox (especially now that I have to use IE). Any help or advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Liam.

Advertisements

larxanne

larxanne

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
have u tried uninstalling then installing? Also have u tried using opera yet?

Liam

Liam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Liam

Liam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Liam

Liam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Have not tried uninstall. I need to save my bookmarks, but can't find them looking in the Program Files mozilla Firefox folder. If I do an uninstall, I assume I would have to save my bookmarks before doing so.

Do you know where the bookmarks might be located. 95% of the bookmarks are business related...I work from home.

No, I have not tried Opera. Thanks for looking at my problem. Liam

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The bookmarks can be backup from inside firefox if i remember but icant remember i uninstalled it when i switched to opera, however they are stored in the application data folder of your documents and they are also left behind when the app is uninstalled unless you tell it not to(at least it always has to me) you can also install another browser import the bookmarks them import them back when its reinstalled.

larxanne

larxanne

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
if you wanted to use firefox because of tabbed browsing then i would reccomend using the new Internet Explorer 7

Liam

Liam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

if you wanted to use firefox because of tabbed browsing then i would reccomend using the new Internet Explorer 7

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
IE7 is just reached RC1, so not totally finished besides FF and Opera both have significant advantages over IE one way or the other.

larxanne

larxanne

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
mmm suppose so...

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
IE7 may be only on RC1 but I've been using it for two weeks and it seems rock-solid to me so don't knock it before you try it. And unlike the rival browsers you don't have to jump through hoops to get some of the plugin applications to work.

Keep your security up to date and IE7 is at least as good any browser out there. It's never been hijacked or caused any other malware problems on my system.