Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Antivirus

• Please log in to reply

joejobs

joejobs

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hi,
I just installed Norton Antivirus 2006 on my pc.
It made my computer extremely slow.
I managed to turn off several applications to get it running to avergae speed again.
The problem I have is I can't get internet to work as it did before.
Is there a way to make internet run like it did before installing NORTON..........

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
That depends. What's wrong with the internet now? Is it just slow? What is your connection speed? (DSL, Cable, Dial-up)

joejobs

joejobs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Cable...wi-fi.
After several adjustments it is running ok now...not as fast as before though, guess that is the price to have anti virus.
The only thig I can´t solve is how to disable INtel Pro Wireless in the background, already disabled it in msconfig, but still runing in backgroung. Windows is managing wi fi, have that program as a ¨spare tire¨ just inn case.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Download "Process Explorer" ...its free and will kill just about anything...looks pretty too!!!

joejobs

joejobs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Will it disable it completely or just for the session.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Oops, sorry, forgot...I would also suggest that you keep only Norton's WinDoctor and DiskDoctor, if you have the suite. It has been my experience that when you buy a Norton Product, you are on your own when it comes to survival. Take it or leave it. Consider switching to AVG [excellent] for a freebie, or PC-cillin, cheaper and better [in my humble opinion] than Norton. Avoid Norton Ghost unless you really know what you are up to and really want what it has to deliver. ..it will drive you insane if you are not computer literate and know how to work around it you have to ...been there, done that!!!

Rule of thumb: the more bells and whistles, and Gooey stuff [GUI-graphical user interface, or whatever] ...graphics! a product has, the more juice it needs to run and look pretty...and the slower your system will run.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Process Explorer will provide a tree graphic of your whole system's activity.

Once opened, right click on any of the operations in the bottom section beneath the Explorer icon on the left.

Determine which process you want to kill, then double left click on it to check out its properties and what its up do...etc.

Then right click on it to chose your options. I'd select to just kill the specific process, for the moment. It will show up again on reboot, so don't worry.

There are others that will do this job, but I have found few that are as informational and easy to use.

Some files will not be killed this way, but at least you will see which is the culprit, and later you can search it out and kill it in other ways. Processes in use, do not like to be tampered with, so you must seek out the reg entries and delete them after you have uninstalled the files in the folder manually.

A little trick that I discovered with some... is to cd c:\X-FILES and files that will not delete from a folder, seem to be able to be dragged and dropped into such a folder. After a couple of boots, they are dead and can be deleted.

joejobs

joejobs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
cd c:\X-FILES.
OK, so I create a new folder = x-files in C.
This is the folder where I will put files that do not want to be deleted.
What does cd mean?

joejobs

joejobs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I can monitor the processes with another software.
want to permanently disable.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
cd or md create a directory/make a directory [md is a DOS COMMANDS] ... ie. just make a folder on the c:\ drive to cache the files in...I never delete files. I usually, also, save files to a burned CD, so that over the length of days, weeks, months, years...I accumualte quite a pile of them

Just open Explorer and make or create a new folder on the c:\ drive...

I'm still a bit confused with what you are after. Process Explorer will identify whatever process is running...you then copy the file onto paper, and seek out its location. If you want to kill it, then you will have to 1] hand delete, 2] find a file killer program, or 3] an uninstaller ...I suggest SmartyUninstaller, if you do not trust yourself to use Registry First Aid, or the regeditor in Windows. "Fix-it" is also good...there's a bunch of them out there...experiment with a few.

"Permanantly disable" denotes to me that you want to uninstall the program in which the file is to be found...use Windows Add/Remove program, or one of the various commercial uninstallers. There are lots of them out there with varying degrees of ability and functions...download and use only those with time limits to them, and need only a key if you want to keep it...but with full functionality. When the time trial end-date kicks in, remove every vestage of the prog entirely from your system and all traces from the registry...reboot and then move to the next step. Download a new verison,and reinstall it, update, and then use it for another span of time. Often you only need programs for a one off attack on a problem, so there is no reason to spend good cash for something that you may only use once or twice...and have it hanging around taking up resoureces and space.

P.S. Norton has its own uninstall programs at: http://www.symantec....emovaltools.jsp

Norton also provides a removal tool [reg entries] for specific purposes...SymNRT.exe fount at [ http://www.versiontr...einfo/win/58280 ]

Programs that SymNRT can remove:

* SymNRT removes these--and only these--Norton programs:
* Norton AntiVirus 2004/2005/2006
* Norton AntiVirus Professional 2004
* Norton AntiVirus 3, 5 and 10 User Pack 2004/2005/2006
* Norton GoBack 3.1/3.5/3.6/4.0/4.1
* Norton SystemWorks 2004 Professional Edition
* Norton SystemWorks 2005/2006 Premier
* Norton SystemWorks 2004/2005/2006
* Norton SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition
* Norton Password Manager 2004
* Norton Internet Security 2004/2005/2006
* Norton Internet Security 5 and 10 User Pack 2004/2005/2006
* Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition 8.2
* Norton Personal Firewall 2004/2005/2006
* Norton AntiSpam 2004/2005
* Norton Ghost 2003/9.0/10.0

...Al

Edited by b1caez01, 17 August 2006 - 10:44 AM.