Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick AGP and Motherboard Question

• Please log in to reply

kingfet

kingfet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all I am about to begin building my first setup. I have a quick question. This will be a very basic system actually for my young brother, the motherboard I am looking at lists AGP 4x. Does that mean it can only use a 4x video card? Or would a video card listed as Interface: AGP 4x/8x still be compatible such as...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814145007

Like I said it will be a very basic system. I probably wont use that video card, but probably something similar.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
whats the motherboard???

it should probably work but whats the model number just to be sure

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah should be compatible with a 4x/8x but if you can get him a mobo with a PCI-e port as AGP is very out dated and the cards for it are going up in price because they arent being made in large numbers anymore and if he wants to upgrade in future that would make it easier, PCI-e has also been around long enough that the motherboards with it are just as cheap as anything else.