Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I configure a wireless access point to connect to a router?

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I am trying to sort out my home network.
I have 2 computers downstairs, and 1 upstairs.
I have a Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL router. One computer downstairs is connected via ethernet - fine. The other downstairs computer uses wireless - which works fine. The upstairs computer, however, has great difficulty with its wireless connection.

I have either "very low" or no connection at all using an internal PCI adapter. I have also tried using a USB adapter, but this involves trailing USB extensions around my room to get a decent signal, and the adapter also gets very hot, and sometimes stops working.
So, I bought a Netgear wireless access point. I want to connect the upstairs computer to this access point via ETHERNET, and then I need the wireless access point to connect wirelessly to the router downstairs to bridge the network. I have tried to set up this bridge, but I can't connect to the router, or the downstairs computer, or the internet, from my computer upstairs.

I am a bit stuck here! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 19 August 2006 - 05:18 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You have me bit confused, but let me see... When you connect both routers together, how do you do that? Ethernet? I hear (don't hold me to it) that you need to use a crossover cable to get them to sync together properly.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, no I am trying to connect the router and the access point wirelessly. The two wired connections are at opposite ends of the chain - one end is the phone line to the router, the other end is the connection between the access point and the end PC - but I need wireless in between. PCI cards and USB adapters haven't been good enough, so I thought a full access point might do the trick.

Edited by tomdrayson, 19 August 2006 - 05:21 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So one router needs to connect to the other wirelessly? That's an interesting one... I've never heard of anyone getting that to work, but I'm not saying that it can't happen either... I'll have to wait and see on this one...