Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer/XP issues....

• Please log in to reply

nevets68

nevets68

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello all -

I finally received my computer from Monarch Computer.
To make a long story short..it took over a month for the system to be assembled and shipped.

Moving right along....

The pc is setup with 2 SATA drives. After creating the Nvidia Sata drivers on floppy and installing it, Windows finally came up. I downloaded whatever updates (security patches,etc) and was prompted to reboot.

Ok, all's going well but wait..there's more!

The pc reboots,I get the Windows splash screen (you know with the windows logo and the moving status bar underneath). Then I see for a nanosecond a blue screen and the pc reboots itself. This goes in a loop. The BS happens so fast I can't see what error message(S) are being generated.

I tried rebooting in Safe-Mode,Last known good configuration,etc with the same results.

I suspect I might have to do a repair install. If so here's my situation. I'm currently using a USB Floppy drive and CD rom to facilitate the install. Could that cause any issues?
When I got to the desktop, I activated the copy of windows,which brings me to my other question (and you all thought you were going to get off easy!)

I'm a subscriber to the MS Action Pack. Essentially I get a copy of windows (NFR) with a license good for up to 10 installs. If I wipe the drive and reinstall XP does that count as install (since i already activated it ..see above).

Whoa...all this typing about computers is making me thirsty, I think I need a tab. :whistling:

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you should inform Monarch Computer about this before you do anything else

it could be just a defect that they can fix

youll only viod the warranty by trying other options

just let them know it never booted up since you purchased it.

GOOD LUCK

nevets68

nevets68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It's been a few days and here's my update :

From what I've read, XP needs to have the SATA drivers installed via the F6 option upon the initial install.
Further reading online told me that the newer MB's, in my case a ASUS M2N-E (AM2 based) mb shouldn't need those drivers. Apparently the bios treats the SATA connectors as IDE.

In any event, I just booted off the WinXP cd and installed the OS. I then in turn installed the drivers for the MB..ie...Nvidia chipset drivers,etc and all was good. Knock on wood! :whistling:

I've successfully updated the OS with SP2 and the latest updates.

To make a long story short....the F6 option (with the sata drivers) was causing all the issues.