Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for app that just copies the IP address

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, when I have a comp with an IP address to a network fixed. I copy it by typing it to notepad doc, then change it to find IP address automaticly, mend the comp with the tools conected to the Internet, and once finished, put type back in the original address. I am just looking for a program that copies the IP address and puts it back too.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well... you could pipe the ipconfig results to a text file with the > switch (i.e. ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt )

and you could use a series of netsh commands to set the static ip back to the way it was but you'd have to type that up as a batch or as individual commands

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks dsenette, are we doing this from the same place, I go runcommand ncpa.cpl, internet proticol, properties, arriving at the internet protocol (tcp/ip) properties window, which is where I cannot seem to copy anything.

Are you doing your idea from CMD then, what commands to get the IP address there(I am very weak when it come the CMD commands)/

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to get the ip info into a text file y ou would do
start > run > cmd > "ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt" (without the quotes)

then you can browse to the c:\ drive and open up that ipconfig.txt file...which will contain the ipconfig /all results

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2006 - 12:43 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks dsenette, so imagine I have copied the ip address to a notepad file, I would then Iguess go to internet protocol (tcp/ip) properties and click the obtain the IP address automatically and also click the obtain DNS address automatically, thus removing the fixed ip address, but then when I have finished, do I type in the address in the place I have mentioned here, or can I just cut/paste it back in the CMD command?

What do people do let's say when they work with a fixed IP address at work and a normal network at home?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
MOST of the time they will just change the ip on their own

i have two batch files that i use for changing IP's...i'll need to get them for you...one sets a static ip and one set's it back to DHCP...my only hesitation here is that...at least for the static one...it won't really save you time as you'll have to change the ip's in it manually...but..i'll pull them out and let you see what htey are dong

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks, always appreciate your effort here at geeks,

I suppose I will have to learn more about cmd then, the problem is that with people moving about I imagine that they will have to change their fixed ipaddress to a find ipaddress each time they want to log onto the network. Am I missing something, am I approaching this in the wrong way? - meaning rather than deleting the fixed ipadress, should I just go ncpa.cpl, make a new conection, and conect to the network that new conection?(would the work)

Edited by fleamailman, 17 August 2006 - 06:44 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IF someone has a laptop that needs a static IP for work..and a dynamic one for home (or vice versa) you can use the batch files that i'll get you for them...one would automatically set it to dhcp and one would set their static back...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks, looking forward to seeing what it is like.