Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-RW Problem

• Please log in to reply

darwinjoe1831

darwinjoe1831

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have a NEC DVD+ RW and Windows XP SP2, recently I have had a problem with the drive, when I attempt to make a DVD it fails and gives an error stating that the disk can not be written to. However when I attempt to burn a CD there is never a problem. Furthermore the drive can read DVD's and CD's and burn CD's. I have changed the brand of DVD’s twice now with out any luck. My first question is thus is it possible for only the DVD burn laser to give out. In addition I called up Dell my computer’s manufactures and after they did every thing that I had already done, waiting about 2 hours, they recommended that I reformate my hard drive. I sure it’s not a software problem, in addition this is my only burner drive so I can’t really save all of my files. So my second question is, would a reformate solve any problem? Thank you for you time!

Darwinjoe1831

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
When switching drives, did you make sure that you uninstalled the drivers for them? A set of drivers for a Sony drive will not match a LG drive for example.