Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing DVD drive!

• Please log in to reply

burnsryan

burnsryan

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
hi team,

check this out.

why cant windows see my DVD drive? it used to work just fine. when i go to device manager, the dvd drive is highlighted with a yellow Exclamation mark. the device status reads .......

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device".

Weird!!!!!

also, why cant i restore my machine beyond a month ago? i have the disk space usage setting at maximum.

im using XP SP1,

P4 3.06 GHz

192 MB RAM on packard bell laptop

thanks

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you could go back to your device manager and find dvd uninstall it then the computer wizard will find it

reinstall it

or check your drivers by right clicking it and see if they are installed or enabled if not enable them then update them

try those 2 options

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
tried both options.........

still nothing. the drivers are the best possible match

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you istall the dvd yourself or did it come with computer

can you get to manufacture web site and download drivers

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
it came with the lap top.

i can go online for drivers, but why would the device status say this.....

"Windows successfully LOADED THE DEVICE DRIVERS for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device"

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well its strange windows wont recognize device perhaps it time to upgrade to service pack2

after all service pack 1 wont be supported after october

i have same problem with restore only show a one month period but im using a HP so i can restore back to when the computer was purchased.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi burnsryan...

Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for the cd-rom problem. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1