Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Various Game Crashes to desktop

• Please log in to reply

lem0n9

lem0n9

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The following games: cs 1.6 (steam), starcraft, and WaRrock crashes to my desktop without any error message. I think it has something to do with my hardware but I don't know what to fix because my computer runs fine, its just the games. The game crashes usually occurs when Im clicking really rapidly or there is a lot of activity on the screen. The game window then freezes then closes and takes me to my desktop. Any form of help would be appreciated.

And here are my comp specs: Windows XP pro 2002, Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 2.0 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9550m SoundMAX Digital Audio, HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B and AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device, ASUS P4P800 SE Motherboard AI Series

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. When did this start? Have you made any changes to the system recently? Have you tried updating your video card drivers?

lem0n9

lem0n9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No, I haven't made any changes to my system and I think my video card drivers are up-to-date. How do you make sure? And how does that cause the game to crash? The window just closes and there is no error message.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sometimes it just does. It's hard to explain. In fact, I'm not entirely sure why. I just know from experience that sometimes updating them does the trick :whistling: Right-click on My Computer, and select properties. Click on the Hardware tab, and select device manager. You will now see different categories. Look for Display Devices. Click on the + sign next to it and find your graphics card. Right-click on it, and select Properties. Next, select the Driver tab. At the top you will see some numbers seperated by points. Please read those numbers out to me and tell you your card manufacturer and model. I will research these for you :blink:

lem0n9

lem0n9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have an ATI Excalibur Radeon 9550SE Series card and my driver version is 8.273.0.0

Edited by lem0n9, 17 August 2006 - 09:29 PM.

lem0n9

lem0n9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was also wondering if game programs could just crash due to overheating in the cpu?? I have had problems with overheating in the past and also had a case of blue-screen.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If overheating was the issue, then the whole computer would shut down, not just the games. Go here ( https://support.ati....amp;folderID=27 ) and download the Catalyst drivers. Since the games are older I doubt this is the problem, but try anyway. Also, do you have DirectX 9.0c installed? That may also be the issue.

Do you have anything running in the background?

lem0n9

lem0n9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have 2 firewall programs running while I play but I dont have any latency issues. And I also updated my ATI catalyst drivers so I dont think thats the problem either.

Edited by lem0n9, 18 August 2006 - 03:15 PM.

slayer2746

slayer2746

• Pip
  • 8 posts
yea i found my dmz file but i have to have to open with the internet witch is annyonig so is there anthoer way cuz i need to open my ports.