Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winantiviruspro2006 [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
May I thank you for your generosity.

I will leave this thread open for a few days in case of misfortune.

Advertisements

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Windows_Defender_error.gif

Phil,

Sent a small donation* to help you, so you can help others like me.....Thx

* got to watch and remember about the exchange rate.

PS- This was a very good job on your part considering that we were in total differnt time zones and each action and reply meant another day....except on the weekends.

I did encounter a problem with Windows Defender (attched)........should I download over again? I assume that this software works with my Earthlink protection? When I run I get this error: This Instl. pkg. is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor.

Edited by Don Stewart, 26 August 2006 - 01:41 PM.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Don

The many and varied error messages from Windows Defender never cease to amaze me. To be very honest with you, and hope I don't get sued, I wouldn't bother with it; there are better around.

Spyware Blaster in conjunction with the MVPS HOSTS will stop most. You then have the Earthlink stuff to go with it, which I really do feel is sufficient, and they should sit nicely together.

I would do a weekly scan with Ewido, remember to update each time, and that really should be enough. You can have other programmes too, but do not run them in real-time, they will conflict and cause real problems. I sometimes do an occasional scan with both Ad-Aware and Spybot.

I certainly do not recommend Earthlink security (antimalware) and Windows Defender; that sounds like a conflict waiting to happen.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Whenyou say "real time" do yu mean run in "Safe Mode" or are you say don't run them at the same time?

PS- yes I'm new with this stuff!

Edited by Don Stewart, 26 August 2006 - 02:35 PM.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Real-time refers to the process of protecting when the PC is on, i.e. running at all times. You can perhaps see that two programmes doing the same job would have major conflicts if they both see the same infetion at the same time and both try to reverse the process.

To make this clear, you should not have more than 1 antivirus programme running in real-time (always on guard and scanning incoming and outgoing), nor should you have more than 1 antimalware programme doing that either.

Antimalware programmes that do not scan, but provide a comparison list are OK with a real-time scanner.

I hope that clarifies.

Edited by Crustyoldbloke, 26 August 2006 - 05:50 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Phil,

Clarifies, thx and have a nice day!

Don

PS- just run both antimalware and then ewido and both found NOTHING! GREAT JOB on your part!

Edited by Don Stewart, 27 August 2006 - 11:25 AM.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
I occasionally get it right! :whistling:

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.