Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Move files from Win98SE to XP machine? read more..

• Please log in to reply

ramadavid

ramadavid

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Help!

I have an old computer. Win98SE, with a CD drive and a floppy drive. I have a large amount of digital photos I want to move from the Win98 to the WinXP.

What is the best/cheapest way to do this?

The XP is hooked up to the internet. The old computer is not.

I don't have a wireless router, flash drive or zip drive. Also, unsure if I would have to somehow install a driver on the Win98 machine to make the recommended fix work. If so, how do I do this?

Thank you! :tazz:

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
you could remove drive from 98 machine, change the jumper setting to slave and then install it as slave drive in xp machine to move/xcopy all your files/folders. then put it back in old pc. thats the cheapest way...it's free :tazz:

wte1992

wte1992

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You might try something called direct cable connect. This is something that you can Google and get many responses on how to do. It is a "free" program that Microsoft has provided. It might work where you have 98SE. I had Win98 first edition, and I never got it to work. (It can drive you crazy) You need to have the proper cable to do it, and there are many companies that will appear in the sponsored links who will sell one to you. Or go to your local Good Guys, Best Buy, PC store, etc. and you can probably get one a lot faster and might even get a good suggestion for accomplishing the transfer.

The previous suggestion about taking the hard drive from the old machine, changing its jumpers to make it a slave, and installing it in the new machine, is a good one. However, check inside your new PC first to make sure it has the appropriate connectors on the mother board. I tried doing the same thing when I got a new PC, but the old one was IDE technology and the new one was SATA, and never the twain shall meet.

I resorted to burning my old PC's files on a CD and loading them that way--not elegant, but it worked.