Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

War Driving - Legality/Ethics

• Please log in to reply

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:whistling: I recently posted a thread with regards to which network cards (pcmcia) are the best for cross compatibility with Windows using 'Aircrack' and 'Kismet' using Linux.

This thread has been closed simply because it mentions 'war driving'.

Let me put it another way therefore - in the hope that the forum can embrace such concepts.

I wish to get into computer security on a professional footing, offering advice and yes - cracking services, paid for and with the full consent of individuals or companies - in order to see how secure their network is and offer advice accordingly.

So, ignore 'war driving' and focus instead on the notion that it may be possible for someone to attempt to 'hack' someone's network in order to test it - 'penetration testing' is I believe what they call it.

So, with reference to the original question and in this context I again submit the post in the hope of some good technical advice.

Specifically, I'm aware of different chipsets e.g. Prism and Orinocco - my preference is for a card that will be supported by both Linux (current main stream distributions) and Windows 2K or XP, but Windows alone if cross-OS compatibility makes for a more difficult life.

I am a legitimate computer professional seeking to extend my technical/product knowledge to cover network security, any advice or relevant links appreciated. I do not wish to 'piggy back' for fun.

:blink: dave b - linuxwannabee

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
This may not be the best forum for these kinds of querries. These forums seem more geared towards the home user than sercurity and threat analysis testing, though applicable to all computing that involves connecting to a network (even the Internet) is important the kind of things you seem to be asking about would be better answered at security based forums and newsgroups. One newsgroup you can check out is new.grc.com. A variety of groups with some of the most knowlegable folks I've run across.

Edited by silverbeard, 17 August 2006 - 03:43 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We dont know who you are and wether your telling the truth and even if you were to be honest if you have those ambitions you should have been smart enough to A.Find the right kind of forum and B.work it out without having to ask, many who know how to secure a network know how to crack them through knowledge in that field if you have to ask us again youre not to that level. Go to a tech colledge or uni and do a course on network security and they will teach you what you need to know legally.

Your other thread got closed not because it mentioned war driving but because you implied you wanted to actually do it rather than protect yourself from it as it sounded like originally in that thread, no matter how you do it you cannot legally learn to do that unless, A. someone lets you on there network or B you do it on your own in all other cases its illegal and immoral and will get you into ALOT of trouble, learning those skills safely you need resources you cannot just do it off the cuff, that is why we cant help you, not to mention the fact that you could quite possibly be someone who just wants to steal someones bandwidth on top of that other people would also be able to read this and find the info.

And again if you have to ask such generalised questions and cant find the info quickly on your own then your not up to the job yet by a long shot.

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:whistling: Many thanx to Silverbeard for a genuinely helpful response.

:help: Thanks to Warriorscot for the officious (is that a word?) response.

I won't be asking again - I've enjoyed posting on this forum and helping others thus far, and would like to continue to do so - useful to get a feel for the forum's limitations though.

:blink: Of course I'm a long way off knowing what I need to know - isn't that the point of posting queries on the forum?! If I had the answers, bingo.

If I merely wanted to piggy back on people's unsecured network - the urban environment is rich in such opportunities - wasn't the thrust of my question, second time round anyway.

:woot: I'll leave the last word to Warriorscot or other moderator - doubtless the thread will be closed anyway.

:) dave b - linuxwannabee