Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what order to install programs when reinstalling os?

• Please log in to reply

mequestion

mequestion

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi. I have a toshiba laptop, with the reconfiguration cd, trying to reconfigure.

I am using (wanting to) the paid ZA securirty suite, AVG free anti-virus.

What order do I install the new non original software?
example, when I install zonealarm 1st, then try to connect my RCA cable modem, I keepn getting warnings that explorer caused an error in "unknown", explorer will now close" (it actually shows the word unknown inside the carats><)
Also, get the same error popup for vsmon causing error in < "unknown" >

How do I do tjhis correctly? Do I need to install/uninstall in safe mode or what?

Also gotten the message while closing windows me something about the universal plug n play monitor not responding

It seems when I first got this insightbb cable modem it did the same crapola, I can't remember how I cured it...
I did get it to work for a while, then something borked it.

I do not mind starting all over again as I have everything backed up on my spare laptop.

Please help. I am not a computer whiz, so try and speak english.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Whatever order you like, usually doesn't make a lot of difference. Windows ME is quite good at throwing up errors in this fashion.

Quite a lot of new programs that have support for Win98*Guest seem to have a lot of issues with them and cause more problems than they actually fix. The only solution to this now is to upgrade to XP, assuming the laptop can take it, or via buying a new one.

TerryVortex

TerryVortex

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
1. I always make sure all the drivers are installed (first and foremost),
2. I then install word processing programs (Open Office or MS office products with valid lic)
3. Then image programs (usually irfanview)
4. Any other Programs, when all of the program installion is done
5. Internt programs (Firefox - a superior browser, , I don't like IE only use it for MS updates)
6. Security programs - CCleaner, SpywareBlaster, Spyware, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Avg and always lastly I install Zone Alarm.

I've found that installing Zone Alarm last has eliminated some problems.

The other thing that I do, is that each time I install a program I re-start the computer.

edit for spelling

Edited by TerryVortex, 26 August 2006 - 08:45 PM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I install 2 to 5 OS a week. While there is no rel hard and fast rule I always used the following.

1) OS (9x, ME, XP,.)
2) Explorer 6.1a update
3) AntiVirus. I also use AVG free.
4) AntiSpyware. Spybot w\ teatimer, MS Defender, Spyware Guard\Blaster.
5) Firewall. Sygate 5.6 PFW
6) All MS OS updates.
7) Everything else.

Just my ’’