Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer TravelMate 2420 Keyboard replacement

• Please log in to reply

mbanse

mbanse

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
After accidentially spilling my MT Dew on the keyboard and dealing with the stik keys for awhile, i ordered a new keyboard. Prolem I have is that I can't figure out how to remove the old one to do the replacement. I have replaced keyboards on dell laptops, but can not for the life of me figure out how to get this replacement done on the acer. Can anyone help me out with this?
Thanks,
M

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I don't suppose the new keyboard came with any instructions? Do you have the owner's manual for this laptop? Does Acer have any online support documents which tell you how to do this?

mbanse

mbanse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No unfortunately there were no instructions and there is no technical info in the user manual. I have gone on line and seems the downloads from acer only provide the same user manual that i already have. so as you can see my distress ... am considering spilling water to see if that would just rinse away the mountain dew ... no just kidding :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
hehe I don't suppose Acer's support department will help you install it?

mbanse

mbanse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yea thought of that too, thinking i'm going to call the shop where i purchased the machine and see if i can get a litle assistance. just thought someone out there would have run into this ... i can't be the only clumsy person around a laptop.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Surely not. I'd wait a bit longer. Someone with an Acer laptop is bound to reply. :whistling:

Oneyedjack

Oneyedjack

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK here is the Acer Laptop Keyboard answer and a question about that same keyboard.

You need to remove the cover where the power button is located, be careful as there is a ribbon cable attatched to the mainboard under here to pulling to vigorously may cause the cable to get pulled out. Then you need to remove the screw(s) holding the keyboard down, once this is done lift the keyboard away from the and lay it face down on the unit so that you can see the mainboard. You need to look where the keyboard connects, to the left of it you are looking for a switch block, if you have one of these then you need to switch the switch labelled "1" to the other position and turn the unit on and enter the bios, this should bypass the password. Once done turn the unit off and and put the switch back to its original position. Then you need to put the unit back together.
If you dont have a block of switches you're looking for two triangle shaped solder contacts on the mainboard in the same area to the left of the keyboard connect, they should be pretty easy to find as they are the only triangular shaped contacts around here, you need to short these out, and turn the unit on while still shorting them and enter the bios, this should clear the bios."

Now my question. Help me People!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at the little extra keys on the keyboard of the TM 2420. About the dollar and Euro symbols on the lower right side of the keyboard...

How do you turn them on and off?

My Son set up his Windows XP password with the dollar sign and that other strange looking Euro symbol. Then he forgot what he did to activate them.

After that of course, he brought it to me for repair.

I suppose I could remove the keyboard as is in my answer above, and then flash the bios... but there must be an easier way.

So help me please! How do I turn those strange lookin' keys on the lower right side of the keyboard off and on?

Thanx, Oneyedjack