Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

audio advice

• Please log in to reply

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I have pair of speakers orginally for a cd player, they dont have jacks just the wires + & - for both speakers. how could i do it so i could connect it to my pc?

help, advice, list of items i should buy would be nice :whistling:

xxx thero

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
For a CD player? You mean a stereo, right?

night17

night17

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok it sounds like you have some hefty head bangers with just wires on the end. assuming that you took them off a stereo it would be pointless to just to solder [hopefully you know how to do that, it's a useful skill] them to a 1/4 inch headphone jack and plug it into you sound card on your pc. what you need is an amplifier. there are a variety of them out there and it all depends on how loud you want them and how deep your pockets are. now if the speakers are smaller ones you won't need much, for a headphone jack just go to your local radio shack and they will have them. you still might get a small amp so ask them what they got or look around www.think-geek.com and see what you like. without an amp you will be listening to metallica as if you had one ear with cotton stuffed in it. if you need to learn soldering there are a lot of books and tutorials on it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi thero_cpd...

If you are contemplating hooking up regular stereo speakers to your computer, you might want to think again. Chances are you'll damage the motherboard. Stereo speakers have way too high impedance to use on a computer.

There are some pretty amazing speakers available for computer use...some very good sets for under 100USD.

wannabe1