Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I guess this is why I hesitate to try something new - usually run into a problem and I have here. I put disc in my CD Rom drive, waited until it said boot to CD and pushed a key. Then I got the first screen with the option To set up Windows XP but I could not select it - had neither mouse nor could I use the arrow keys to select that option. Is there some special way to do the selection?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Was there more than one operating system displayed?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Well I really did not notice - would have to repeat the operation which I will and look for operating system. I know there were three options

to set up windows
recovery console
and a third one I do not remember

again will repeat and see what I can find re display of operating systems but from what I do remember I think it just said at the top Windows Xp ----------- and something. Will look again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you get to the screen that displays the operating systems (3rd screen), if there is only one displayed...press the R key to start the repair.

Key presses:
  • Enter
  • F8
  • R

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Yippppppeeeeee! All done and back in business! Could "kiss you if I could reach you"! I am such a creature of exactness - was not prepared for that long agreement that went on for pages and then in French no less. Finally followed it to the end and then was able to proceed as you directed. Just finished downloading all the updates!

A few issues remain and can you tell me what I might expect in future - my PC used to "snap too" re screens opening, files opening, loading of programs etc. Now it takes way over a minute for the icons on the taskbar right side to load on the desktop. Bootup is much much slower than was previously. I used to count the little rolling circles of windows log on and hardly four went by before bootup started. Now almost 8- 10 go by. Have lost somehow my solitaire games - went to use the shortcuts I always used and now they cannot find the exe files for the games and I so far have notl located the games on my PC. All screens and files open up very slowly compared to the snap to of before. Any suggestions how I might speed up the situations?

BUT Outlook express opened much much much faster and the links work now in the emails - hopefully the attachments will also.

Mind you am not cmplaining - so thankful I am back in business and will keep on working on these minor annoyances to see what I might do to resolve them. Any ideas you have - most welcome.

And again so many thanks for that operation; will remember that and do thank you for your constant support throughout all of this. At my age now I am not the swiftest being going:) but am hanging in there.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Excuse me but i think you still have to deal with some malware

when click on wannabe1 repair you were redirected to some sites that were selling poducts

only malware or some sort of spyware can change page or redirect

your repair will be temporary due to the fact you did not deal with your infection

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are quite welcome! :whistling:

Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools...that should help a bit. It's late and tomorrow is another day. Run the aforementioned tools and let me know if there is any improvement in performance.

I'll also want a HiJackThis log to see what's running on the machine...there may be a visit to our Malware Forum in your future. Download HiJackThis and run it on the machine. Save a log and attach it here for me.

Thanks, rushin1nd...we'll get that checked out!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 August 2006 - 11:04 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
its probably where the spyware came from outlook probably not harmful but annoying

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Will do all scans and have downloaded HiJack This and will do tomorrow - like you say getting late, am worn to a frazzle :whistling: but did get this from my Trend MIcro:

The following security vulnerabilities were found on this PC
Threat level HIGH and MS04-027 is related bulletin.

But I have updated both Windows and Microsoft Office tells me there are no new updates so am uncertain what this is about.

So until tomorrow! And thanks to rushin1nd for added suggestion

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MS04-027 is a security update for your Office installation. Please DO install it...it's an important one! :whistling:

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Re MS04-027 - read the article, tried to install that update but got message that it had been installed previously. This is not the first time Trend Micro has picked up an update that I have already installed - so not sure what the problem is now - my PC or Trend Micro. I keep both windows and MS Office updated regularly - am rather a fanatic about updates and clearing out files etc. I have disc cleaned, (which I do daily), did a defrag, and have a hijackthis log ready for you. Now do I post it here on this forum? I understood we are not to post such logs just anywhere but on the hijackthis forum only. Advise

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Addendum: Hopefully we can pin down what went wrong to cause all of this upset? History just before it began:

1 - had deleted many unnecessary programs via add/remove
2 - had done a defrag and disc scan before tech arrived
3 - tech did his quarterly cleaning of my PC via special programs he uses
4 - to correct some IE problems he upgraded 6.0 to 7.0 beta 3
5 - installed Spyhunter, a favored program of his

The only really new thing that was done was the upgrade of IE. He had installed Spyhunter before but I did not pay for the program when the trial period was up. At that time it did not cause any problems.

And the last issue I would appreciate your input about is my protection programs that I have - too much, too little, not good programs?

Trend-Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security for antivirus
Ad-Aware
Windows Defender
Windows Malicious Tool Remover

and I have run a scan with Blacklight to look for rootkits which at the time came up negative.

Await your comments and ready to send the hijackthis log

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you can go ahead and post it here

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
here is the hijackthis log could not send as an attachment so hope this is OK.

edit: attached log

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 19 August 2006 - 01:18 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi nondaj...

I don't see anything in the log that jumps out at me, but there are a few items I don't recognize as legitimate files...these may be redirectors, but let's let the Malware experts make that determination. I've asked one of the experts to have a look at the log to see if you need their expertise. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to go HERE and follow all the pre-posting instructions...there are some good applications available for download there.

One application you don't have that you may want to get is Spybot Search and Destroy...It's available at the link I provided to the Malware Forum.

Let's hold off on doing more to the machine until I hear back from the malware expert... :whistling: