Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What causes the Red Stripe of Death?

• Please log in to reply

rch427

rch427

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm running a cobbled-together system of a P4 CPU on an Intel board, with XP Pro. For some reason, I periodically have trouble with it, in the following manner:

After using the computer for a few hours (or just having it turned on) the computer will freeze up with the hourglass running and no programs responding. Then, a red stripe about 50 pixels tall will appear across the top of the screen, and the only way I can get out of it is to unplug the computer, wait a half-minute, and plug it back in.

Any idea what causes this and how it can be cured?

Thanks in advance --

Robert

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
maybe not because your using 2 system that are not compatible with each other ..but if im wrong think you got a problem

rch427

rch427

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry, but I'm not quite getting whatever it is you're saying.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The only real way to find the problem is by elimination. The first thing i would do is try borrowing another monitor and seeing if the same thing ocurs. It could be your monitor is getting hot and freezing up. If it is not the monitor check the video. If it's a card try another. If it's onboard switch to a card. After that you should be looking at the background programs running. This is a tough one to diagonose but i would start with the monitor.

I have cobbled many systems together without any problems. There are a few system that always had problems. I had one motherboard that just did not like double sided memory and had many problems until one day i got a big MB single sided memory stick from someone. Because it was a problem computer i switched memory sticks. I did'nt mess with it for a while but decided to look at it again. Amazingly i had not problems with the computer at all for 3 months. Someone asked to buy it from me so i told them about the problem and what seemed to be the cure. Two years later they are still running the computer. So you never know what could really fix a computer until you try just about everything.

SRX660