Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Stop Error

• Please log in to reply

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I Finished putting together a computer and i had a ultra ATA hard drive. The computer didnt regognize the hdd as being there so i returned it for an SATA hdd. After installing the SATA Hard drive the bios recognizes the hdd there at the begging as a maxtor hdd but when i attempt to install windows i get the 0x0000007F stop error right after it says Starting Windows across the bottom. Im trying ot install XP Pro.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
SATA drives needs drivers installed during the installation process when the install disk loads youll see a prompt to install third party drivers at that point you need to install the drivers for the motherboards SATA controller you just stick a floppy disk with them on in and it will install it from that.

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i tried installing all the drivers from the floppy i created with the maxtor cd, and i installed the drivers on the nvraid cd that came w/ the motherboard and neither of that worked...do i need to enable raid in the bios?

apritske

apritske

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
The only reason you would need to enable RAID is if you're actually trying to set up a disk array - it sounds like you only have one hard drive so don't worry about you RAID BIOS options.

Try clearing the CMOS, resetting your BIOS settings, create a SATA floppy driver disk from BIOS, set the system to boot from your optical drive, try installing Windows, and insert your floppy when prompet by the setup