Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe Mode problem

• Please log in to reply

dwsimms

dwsimms

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I know that "Safe Mode" in Windows is pretty much the best way to correct hard-to-fix problems. I have used it many times on my system with littel trouble. But recently, Safe Mode is not working. When I log on in safe mode, I get a black screen which says I am in Safe Mode.

But, there are no Icons, no Start Bar...nothing. I tried accessing programs through the Task Manager, but go to Run program and type "C:/" it says that there is no disk in the drive! I type in "Control Panel", and the icons will appear for a second or 2, but hten dissapear. I have tried clicking on my computer very quickly, when it appears. But, it never opens!

I believe I have picked up a computer virus. Norton identifies a bad program file (effywx.dll), but I cannot delete it. If I could get into safe mode, I would have a chance of deleting it.

Advertisements

djdimensions

djdimensions

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
get a hold of hirens bootcd or something and run fprot or dos virus scan programs.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what your saying is that you cant start your computer at normal start up

how about last good known configuration

otherwise you may have to boot from xp cd and try to repair and damages

or boot it up long enough to contain your viris

dwsimms

dwsimms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thnanks for the suggestions. I was able to contain and destroy the virus in Normal boot mode. But, I am still having the same trouble with Safe mode.

Normal boot mode is working fine. I just can't get anything to work in Safe Mode. And, I really don't have access to a Windows XP CD.

Any other suggestions?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
The next best thing to safe mode is Start/ Run/ open=msconfig/ OK. Go to the start up tab and click Disable All then OK and restart the PC. This should disable all starting programs except for services. It may help.

By the way "C:/" is the wrong syntax for DOS. Try C:\ . Run assumes the root folder (C:\Windows\*.*). You can type in the open field "explorer.exe" (no quotes) and that should start your desktop in safe mode.