Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Operating system not found"

• Please log in to reply

invalidconcept92

invalidconcept92

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
After a bit of tooling with the wires, I got my computer to run again. But before I hooked it up to my laptop, the screen would be black and it would just beep at me and say something along the lines of "Operating system not found" Everytime I would press a key, it would just add another line of this rather indescriptive phrase... So I guess my question is... What the heck does that mean? :whistling:

(I've also had trouble with it in the past when it simply would not turn on. I've tried cleaning out the back and such, but it still happens every so often)

Edited by invalidconcept92, 18 August 2006 - 09:06 PM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
It means that the BIOS is not finding the hard drive more than likely. When the PC boots try pressing the delete key (or if the boot screen gives a different key like F1 or F2) enter set up. Most BIOSs have either CMOS choice or the devices (drives) are displayed on the info screen. If your hard is listed (Primary Master) then your system should boot. If its's not there shut down the pC and check your connections on the hard drive and see if you can get the BIOS to recongize it's there.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Since you were "tooling with the wires" the first thing I would check is the power connection at the hard drive, and the drive cable at both the drive and motherboard end to be sure they're seated properly.