Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Process SYSTEM Brings CPU Usage to 100%, Making Machine Unusably Slugg

• Please log in to reply

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
It timed out again, and this time when I save, it is processing only 80 whatevers into the pdf. I'll PM that, too.

Advertisements

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
sorry to interrupt guys....
you see i had the same problem about three days ago, the system precess was going up so high... now i know that this can be due to many different reasons and might not even be close to the problem that burnt norton is having, but im almost sure this will fix burnt nortons problem..... so if you guys believe my sugestion can help in any way just post again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What's your suggestion, aero05?

Burnt Norton...See if you can get me just Error Logs, BIOS Version, Processors, Drives, Startup Programs, Services, and Running Programs.

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2006 - 09:11 PM.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok here it goes
you see when you freshly install windows, it always backs up all the succesfull installations, so it basically backs up your system right after installing everything. this all goes on to

C:\WINDOWS\repair

this folder basically contains the succesful clean install that was performed

now what the system is currently runing on is on diferent files which would be here

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config

now since we want the computer to run fresh as when it was started without errors, all we have to do is grab whats on repair and place it on the current configuration.

now on the C:\WINDOWS\repair folder there is a file named system and has no extension what so ever. we need to get that file in to C:\WINDOWS\system32\config and replace it with the old file there

*note DO NOT REPLACE ANY OTHER FILE OTHERWISE COMPUTER WILL BE BASICALLY EMPTY AGAIN for example replacing the software on the system32's config folder with the repairs software WILL delet all the software you currently have because when the pc was cleaned installed there was no software ........ get it or was i not detailed enough....hopefuly i was ......o and another thing you cant do this while windows is running, must be done from recovery console, and if you will do this make sure you back up both folders, the REPAIR folder and the config folder

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
hope this helps guy's

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I hope it doesn't come to that, but it IS handy information. Nearly the same results can be optained by replacing the registry hive...also from recovery console.

I'd like to try to get to the bottom of this issue on the current installation if possible, and have a few ideas to narrow things down a bit. Besides, there are multiple users and accounts on this machine...we don't know how that action will affect the other user accounts.

Burnt Norton...Open Task Manager and untick the box next to "Show processes from all users" and apply the change. Reboot and log in to each account...is the cpu pegged in all the accounts.

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2006 - 10:25 PM.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
that is the reason why i said back up both folders...just in case it does not work we can always put it back the way it used to be.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
but u are right .... lets leave it to last.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I unchecked the box, applied it, and rebooted. The CPU is at 100% for each user.

I just PM'd you with the latest WinAudit report. With the parameters you set, it did not time out.

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download, install, and run Process Explorer. See if it will shed any light on which process might be using up the cpu time.

Advertisements

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I'm trying to figure out which one to download. Do you know if I'm 32-bit or x64?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
32 bit

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to my computer right click and click properties it should say right there under general tab

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I couldn't tell much from the Process Explorer, so I took a couple of screen shots, which are attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• ProcessesShot1.gif
  • ProcessesShot2.gif

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It looks like we've hit a dead-end...but I've got a couple of things I'd like you to try.

This may take a while, but it could solve your problem.

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the 100% CPU problem repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, STOP and report back to me.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the 100% CPU problem repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.
Does the 100% CPU problem repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the problem, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back