Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

comp. doing the weirdest thing, event ID 1074 reboot

• Please log in to reply

ajcool123

ajcool123

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
okay guys hi!

here is the deal. my computer has been doing this weird thing for awhile now, retstarting in the middle of the night. the catch, however, is that everytime it restarts right at the same time, 3:05 AM or so. Now this has really been bothering me because i don't see what could be initating a restart.

the only bit of information i can get from eventvwr is

The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of IU for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Minor Reason: 0x2
Shutdown Type: reboot
Comment:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

the Event ID is 1074.

why in the heck would winlogon.exe be causing my computer to restart?

i just installed a fresh copy of xp because i thought it might have had a virus, but i am running AVAST and there is no way it is that.

the only thing i can think of is it has something to do with automatic updates since they occur at 3AM everyday, but how would that make sense?

I have my laptop on all the time too which has the same automatic updates setting and it doesn't restart.

does this in anyway sound like a hardware issue just from the winlogon.exe and stuff? any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

aj

Advertisements

ajcool123

ajcool123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
okay so i think it has something to do with waiting 5 minutes before it autorestarts? i see info in group policy Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

but still i have other computers that don't do this? who knows more about microsoft than i! please help :whistling: