Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Civilization III problems.

• Please log in to reply

Amused_one

Amused_one

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I download Civilization III off the internet, paid for it and all that fun stuff, but it kept crashing on me. So I downloaded the newest patch for the game. I reboted my computer and tried to start the game up. The game asked me to put in the cd of Civilization III. I don't have a cd! Help?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what do you mean you "downloaded it" and "paid for it"?????

Amused_one

Amused_one

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I went to gamershell.com, downloaded the demo. At the end of the hour of play that was free, a popup came up that said in order to continue playing you have to pay. So I used a credit card, payed $30.
and now it doesn't work.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You payed $30 for Civ 3 when you can buy the new civ 4 for like $5 more, you can pick up civ3 in bargain bins for a pittance these days, safe to say you got ripped off.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok I did some digging around.

You shouldn't have patched it. If you still have the original d/l file of Civ Complete, reinstall it. Complete (and gold, for that matter) come fully patched. No need to apply any patches found on the net. You might be able to uninstall the patch.

Should another patch come out, you'll want to contact the people who sold you Civ Complete. They should have a special patch from Firaxis that will allow your version to patch.

also found that a lot of places were distributing the UK version of civ 3.

quick question:

Your civ3ptw127f.exe file : what size is it?

I have: 11757746 bytes, which is giving me the Insert CD issues.

Am D/L'ing a 7.31 MB version from www.uk.atari.com - this may solve my problem

if you got the "complete" version then you didn't need to patch.

the entire thread is here: http://forums.civfan...ead.php?t=91254
From looking around its a pretty good web site.

Bottom line is that if you still can't play the game after following thier advice you can either contact atari and see if they will send you a modified exe (highly doubtful after all this time) or go back to the vendor that sold you the game and ask for your money back. If that fails then check with your credit card company. they may be able to do a charge back.

I'm really suprised that they didn't release a patch that did away with the "cd check".

Amused_one

Amused_one

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

You payed $30 for Civ 3 when you can buy the new civ 4 for like $5 more, you can pick up civ3 in bargain bins for a pittance these days, safe to say you got ripped off.

Well thanks, [bleep]. That helped me out a lot.

I got the cd problem fixed. Thanks a bunch.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what ended up working for you?