Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is streeming replacing television then.

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, I am surprised by the number of things that I can now streem and look at from my computer, and even if it is not as good a quality as television it still is exactly what I want when I want it.

Personally I understand that television will remain just as radio is still there just as some people still listen albums on their gramaphones but do you think that television will be knocked off its top place for viewer's choice.

All opinions welcome.
sin.,
flea

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No because the infrastructure will not be up to handling HD programming over the internet like TV systems can, modern TV is getting very similar to streaming on demand television is offered at certain times and its getting more common, and the quality is still to low and its still buggy its common for the buffer to run out if there is a reduction in bandwidth, streaming is very expensive bandwidth wise as well.

And the technology is still rapidbly progressing and TV hardware and costs is still lower than that of PCs because you cant count the TV itself in that because if you go to full time streaming then you would need to buy a TV anyway.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
True, but if as in the case of the UK with anolog going digital won't the two systems converge at some point? Perhaps the other question I should have asked here was if the TV companies are worried seeing that it will boil down to HDTV quality verses Internet variety

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I think traditional TV is terminal. It's dieing a slow death. The major networks have continually lost market share, and viewership among the younger crowd (18-25) is off dramatically. The younger generation is spending time surfing the Internet, viewing content from site like YouTube, playing video games, and finding other entertainment avenues other than sitting in front of a TV. Really, is that such a bad thing?

I think the future of TV is IPTV (Internet Protocol TV). It's TV on demand, and in addition I think movie production companies will use it to release movies the same day they hit the box office. Movie theaters may be in trouble too.

If you've ever used a DVR you know how powerful TV on demand can be. No longer are you tied to a network schedule, you can watch what you want, when you want. There will still be some type of monitor in your living room for some time to come, but I doubt TV as we know it will be displayed on it for many more years.

kcazman

kcazman

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
In fact, the guy that used to own the company I now work for moved to Vegas for a Streaming Player that he invented. It has no buffer to wait for and now downloading period. You click on the movie and boom it's playing right in front of you within about 2 secs. you can fast forward rewind pause and stop if you want. This is something that microsoft has been after for years. And with the company he's with, they are now signing contracts with blockbuster and movie rental companies like that. So I believe that Streaming will soon take over the TV companies.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are starting an IPTV service here however it requires a huge bandwidth connection, its with BT standard connection for most is 2-4mbps with 8 being the expensive package and the lowest iptv package means you need to get the new 14Mbps package and the tv will be suing most of that and to be honest at least here in the UK i cant see it being so well encouraged as other places possibly because we have to pay to watch the TV and iptv would make justfying the tv liscence hard.

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
i am relunctant to think that tv is oing to be out on pcs.
On a pc hackers rule. viruses, spyware, adware and waht not destroy the internet experience.
There is a lot of piracy going on without internet tv...
I dont think program and movie companies will want to losee soooooo much money on internet tv.
no matter how much security there is, it seems that hackers are always better.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I ditched my pay tv in favour of faster internet. I'll be going to 17Mbps soon. I usually only watch the news anyway. It's availiable online in so many places, there is a wide varity to choose from. I like how I can pick the stories I want to hear.
I have a tv tuner also, i keep it as a small frameless window in the corner while i work. I havn't used a standard television in months.
I hope the technology improves...
Instead of complaining about piracy, companies should find ways around it. iTunes is a great idea. I buy music and movies from my Internet provider (Telstra -Bigpond) and their put on my phone bill. (which I then pay online-hehe. I hardly have to leave the house).

The only problem I have is that Im limited to 10Gig a month, after that it slows down rapidly. I seem to use more than double that. :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am in agreement with most of the replies here, and happy I asked the question but although the television as we know it will have to evolve into someting else, I don't think that he we will lose the cinema in that it is one of few things that the whole family can do together and remains an outing.

Also, I believe that the television and computer will combine into one machine. Perhaps a flatscreen wall mounted picture with wireless keyboard and a telecommand that doubles a telephone.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Such things allready exists although it likely to be more some sort of console/dvr to go with your TV.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Verizon offers IPTV now in NYC. Their box looks just like a cable box http://www.verizonfios.com/

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
lalalallallllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
fiberoptics? how does that work

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Fiber optics are a transimission medium for data, previously it was all done through electrical pulses along coppercable which was fine in the past but the bandwidth is poor in copper cabling, so they have switched to using fiber optic cabling which has much higher bandwidth and lower signal degradation, biggest difference is the cabling is made of thin glass and digital pulses of light.

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
wow.... i though all fiber optics were good for were those table lamps with lights glowing