Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Closing on me when i go to certain sites

• Please log in to reply

Achilarre

Achilarre

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Everytime i go to cnn.com my internet closes....everything else seems normal...it closes on other sites once in a while, but everytime i go to cnn...please help

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello Achilarre

Download CCleaner from http://www.snapfiles...t/ccleaner.html
  • Install it. Then start the program.
  • In the area designated as "Cleaner Settings", Make sure the Windows tab is the selected tab.
  • Under the category of "Internet Explorer", UNcheck all boxes except for the first two boxes (Temporary Internet Files and Cookies).
  • UNcheck the box next to the category called "Windows Explorer."
  • Under the category of "System", UNcheck Empty Recycle Bin.
  • At the top, click on the tab that says Applications.
  • UNcheck EVERYTHING! If there is a category called "Firefox", then leave the Cookies option checked.
  • Now click on Analyze. When it is done analyzing (it could take several minutes since this is your first time using ccleaner), click on Run Cleaner.
After it is done deleting the junk files, restart your computer. After it has restarted, see if the problem still occurs.

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I ran everything....internet still closing on CNN everytime

and now seems to be closing more on other site

thanks for your help, please advise

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

If nothing catches my eye in the HijackThis log, your Internet explorer may be corrupt. Do you have an XP CD available if that is the case?

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hi, thanks..i attached the file as requested...thanks again

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
not sure it worked...i tried attaching again

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
As far as I can tell, you've got nothing suspicious on your computer. But I am not a malware expert.

However, I think your problem may be coming from "CleanMyPC™ Registry Cleaner"

Go to Add/Remove Programs and remove it. See if you still have the problem. And if you don't, but still want a pop-up blocker, I'll let you know of a better one.

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
i will remove...please let me know which you recommend

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I recommend the Google Toolbar. Not only does it block pop-ups, but also gives you a quick way to search.

BTW, you may have to restart your computer after removing your pop-up blocker. Try the internet before restarting, but if it isn't better, restart and then try again.

Let me know how it goes.

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Thnx for your help....my internet is still closing on me though...not as frequently, but its happening...any thoughts?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Sorry for the delay, I've been busy lately :whistling:.

Please Download Firefox and install it. Use FireFox to surf to the sites that you are having trouble with. If FireFox does the same thing, then we are dealing with a different issue than I am thinking about. In that case, let me know, and do NOT continue with these instructions. If FireFox works WITHOUT any problems, then continue with the following:

This is for Internet Explorer 6. If you have downloaded Internet Explorer 7, let me know and do not continue with these instructions.

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

Edited by computerwiz12890, 25 August 2006 - 10:48 AM.