Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TaskBar and Recycle Bin

• Please log in to reply

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hello, I’m just after some tweak help really. My taskbar was the standard Windows XP task bar but now it's gone grey. I would like the windows XP taskbar back. I've gone though control panel and the taskbar menu but it doesn't seem to work. Also anyone know how I can get a personalized task bar? Ideally I would like a slivery blue one?

My taskbar

Posted Image

I also want to remove the recycle from my desktop. I still want to be able to use the recycle bin. Can I some how just have it in my list of programs in the start menu?

I'm on Windows XP Pro, SP2.

Advertisements

Kazmcm

Kazmcm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
it looks as if you're in classic mode instead of XP mode

try this

click on start
then click on control panel
then click on Appearance and themes
then click on display
then click on the appearance tab
click on the windows and buttons dropdown arrow and highlight Windows XP style and click on apply and ok
That should change it to XP mode

Hope this helps

Kaz

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Tried that already.

Posted Image

That option isn't there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Oddysee...

Looks like some corruption in the Themes file...specifically the Luna files.

Download the attached file and save it to your desktop. Extract the files (right click the file>choose Extract All) to C:\WINDOWS\Resources and let it overwrite the current Themes folder. Reboot and try changing the theme.

For the Recycle Bin, I know how to take it off the desktop, but I'll have to figure out how to add it to the Start Menu... :whistling:

wannabe1

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Drag and drop the Recycle Bin onto the Start button...this will move the bin to the Start Menu.

Open Registry Editor (Start > Run > type regedit and click "Ok") Browse to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel

Change the value for (double click on it) {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} to 1

Make sure you backup the registry before making changes.

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thanks a lot wannabe1 that worked! I've got the Recycle Bin where I want it. As shown in the picture.

Posted Image

I want to remove it from my desktop but keep it where I got it. I know how to remove the recycle bin completly but thats not what I want to do.

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I can get to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\

But I can't see "HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace and right click on {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}...choose "Export". Name it Recbin and save it to your desktop. In the right pane, right click on (Default) and choose "Delete". Accept the change and reboot.

If this produces the desired results, move the file you saved on the desktop to a location you'll remember so you can restore the Recycle Bin should you want it back in the future.