Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

spywaremagnet

spywaremagnet

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi. I bought a new card from http://cgi.ebay.com/...ewI...N:IT&rd=1.

The thing is, the computer I want to install it on has just AGP 1x.

Will it work?

Edited by spywaremagnet, 20 August 2006 - 08:10 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont think it will you could try it but if its AGP8x that means itll only work on an AGP8x or possibly a 4x.

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
As long as it fits in the slot it will work. There are agp 2 slots which are different than agp 2x. As long as they are both x though, it will work. It will reduce performance considerably though. I think you would be better off buying one that is actually compatible though. If you buy that card, your performance is going to be 1/8th ish of what it should be. Save some money and just buy an older one.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It doesnt quite work that way there are differnces in the standard and power outputs of the sockets as well as the shape they wont all fit as they have different keys to help distinguish them if you put the wrong card in the wrong socket it can cause damage, http://en.wikipedia....d_Graphics_Port for more info.

The numbering is primarily to show the speed but 1x and 2x were different from 4x and 8x which is why you wouldnt put one in a slower socket than 4x as there was major differences in the signaling voltage etc. and if its old as to have a 1x slot you may encounter other problems.