Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless dialup connection

• Please log in to reply

redskyatnight

redskyatnight

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a dialup internet connection at home. I would like to connect to my isp at my place of work using a laptop computer which I will purchase myself. It is not possible to run a phone wire from my work area to a phone jack that can connect to the internet. The nearest phone jack is about 50-75 ft from where me and my laptop will be. There is also a wall in between. Thank you in advance for any advice in response to my question. Can I connect or attempt to connect to the internet in this situation. If yes, Please inform me what equipment to buy and what store to purchase it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you have internet at work (if so, it's almost guaranteed to be up to ten times faster than your home connection), would it not be far easier just to use that and your dial-up when you get home?

In theory it should be possible to do this but you'd need a wireless router, plus your home computer on permantely. You'd also need to work pretty much no further than down the road from where you live, otherwise you can't see your wireless router's signal.

It's not always possible to disconnect remotely though, so if you're on a pay-as-you-go option, then you'd end up running a huge bill up.