Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Erase unwanted scenes from dvd before burning it

• Please log in to reply

KULO

KULO

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am in the process of buying a camcorder, but not sure yet about which might be better for my needs. All I need is to take some videos erase the unwanted scenes and burn a dvd. I know that I can do it with a minidv camcorder, but can some one tell me if I can do the same with either a DVD or a hard drive camcorder? :whistling:

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome! :whistling:

Can't you just do it the same way? Just upload the video(s) to your computer and do the editing there, then burn to a DVD.

KULO

KULO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the input,
I am not sure; can I upload videos from a DVD camcorder to my computer and delete unwanted scenes and then burn a DVD? I am a beginner in need of advice before buying the appropriate camcorder. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Or if there is software that could help me do it, “just the basics” I will also like to know about it. :whistling:

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
You should be able to delete and/or edit scenes using pretty much any camcorder as long as you have the right connection. The camcorder will probably use Firewire (IEEE 1394), so please right-click My Computer and click Properties. Then, please go to the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button. Do you see something with "IEEE 1394" in it? If so, you should have at least one firewire port.

TigerDirect has a good picture here of a port and cable:
Posted Image

You will have to use some program to capture (get the video from the camera) and edit the scenes. Windows Movie Maker (free ) can do this, but doesn't offer as many features as some other software does. Your computer may have come with some other software and I believe some camcorders do as well. Your computer manual may say something about the software it comes with. If you do use Windows Movie Maker for editing, make sure to save it as DV-AVI, and not any of the other formats, which will compress the video more and lower the quality. You will need some other software to burn the file to a DVD if you use Windows Movie Maker as well, but you probably have some DVD burning software.

Edit: Sorry I took so long to reply.

Edited by Pi rules, 22 August 2006 - 02:06 PM.

KULO

KULO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, my lap top has a wire fire port, but it doesn't have a DVD Burner it only has a DVD player, however I was thinking on buying an external DVD Burner. I will need to download the Windows Movie Maker software, but how much free space will my pc need to do this editing?
Based on this information,I am more interested on the DVD camcorder, it looks like it might be more practical. So why would anyone want to buy a miniDV camcorder other than for the price, if you are able to do the same recording and editing in a DVD camcorder?
Thank you for this valuable information.

KULO

KULO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, my lap top has a wire fire port, but it doesn't have a DVD Burner it only has a DVD player, however I was thinking on buying an external DVD Burner. I will need to download the Windows Movie Maker software, but how much free space will my pc need to do this editing?
Based on this information,I am more interested on the DVD camcorder, it looks like it might be more practical. So why would anyone want to buy a miniDV camcorder other than for the price, if you are able to do the same recording and editing in a DVD camcorder?
Thank you for this valuable information.