Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting windows xp

• Please log in to reply

Caper555

Caper555

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
HI... I am trying to reformat my computer and it tells me to make boot disks ok I can handle that. The windows site has the download and it tells me to save it to 6 disks, ok so now i have 6 disks reformatted and ready to go. I go the site and download to my A: drive and it tells me the disk is not big enough. How do i make the computer save to multiple disks?

Is there anything else I should know about reformatting my computer? I have all the files I want to save on cd's. I've made a ms-dos boot disk when I was reformatting my disks.

Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Caper555...

If you have the Windows XP installation cd, you shouldn't need the floppies. Make sure the boot priority in BIOS setup is set so the cd-room is the first boot device, put the installation cd into the cd-rom drive and restart the machine. Watch the top of the screen for the prompt to boot from the cd...press the space bar. This should start the format/installation process. There is a guide available for this HERE.

wannabe1