Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Usb 2.0 External Drive

• Please log in to reply

mikey d

mikey d

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Question in regards to the functionality of my Ultra External HD casing.

Good afternoon.

Recently i've been encountering functionality issues with my Ultra Usb 2.0 casing.

This drive has operated optimally for weeks, however in the past couple of days the drive is failing. ("Windows - Delay Write Error") And it references the $Mft file.

I've been experiencing Delayed Write Errors on my taskbar and after which access to the drive is unavailable. However if I reset the drive I can regain access. The errors appear to be somewhat random, albeit evident; often seperated by intervals of hours.

I'd also like to note that the drive fails regardless of its activity. IE: it often fails while inactive or idling.

Steps i've taken to remedy this issue have been disabling the shutdown of drives in the power options menu.

I'm confident the health of the drive is virtuous as it works on other machines flawlessly. Which leads me to a question: what variables are to be considered in terms of Usb Hard Drive functionality? What variables may I be overlooking as to the serviceability of the drive?

Any advisement would be invaluable.

Thanks

Edited by mikey d, 20 August 2006 - 11:38 AM.

Advertisements

mikey d

mikey d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it just happened again.

=[

The computer and hard drive was perfectly idle. BAM!

"Windows delayed write error"

man What the...

the agony

the pain

=[

this is the reason i drink

mikey d

mikey d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
"windows was unable to save all the data for the file f:\$mft"

mikey d

mikey d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is an ongoing occurance.

My system log is full of !warnings exclaiming "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation."

Any suggestions would be welcome.

=]

mikey d

mikey d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Eurika!!

I've finally solved the issue.

Unfortunately; I did many things to altercate the situation and i'm unsure as to what the remedy was.

That being said; I've adjusted the chords on the device. (power, and usb)

and relocated the power supply to a different socket. (I was pondering that perhaps a power surge issue was causing this?)

So after relocating and readjusting the wires it seems to work flawlessly. (it's gone 6+ hours without a crash)

What does this prove? It proves how finicky these hardware components are; and that i'm a fool for not doing so eariler.

"Eurika is not exlaimed when man makes a dire discovery.. Instead it's 'That's strange' "