Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sonic Update Manager won't connect!

• Please log in to reply

MarshallO

MarshallO

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi! I'm only partially computer-savvy, so I don't even know if I'm in the right forum! In any event, my problem is this: Sonic RecordNow! 7.10 came preinstalled on my Dell computer, however, whenever I try to use "check for updates", I get the following Error Message: UPDATE MANAGER: The program was unable to connect to the update server. Please check your network connections. As I haven't a CLUE as to what they mean by"check my network connections", I don't know what to do! Every other program I have manages to connect to its website, so I don't know why this one wouldn't! I have other programs that burn CDs, etc., so I suppose in a way I don't even really need Sonic RecordNow!, but I don't like the idea of having something that I might decide to use someday (and why get rid of?), but for some reason can't update! Anybody out there have any suggestions? Thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is an updated version here

http://support.sonic...oduct=recordnow

There are no separate user settings to limit the frequency with which Sonic Update Manager checks for updates. Within RecordNow though, it is possible to select whether or not the Sonic Update Manager will automatically check for updates when RecordNow launches. To disable that automatic check go through the following steps.

Start RecordNow.
Click on the Options (wrench) icon.
Click on "General."
Under "Startup," remove the checkmark from "Check for updates."
Click on "OK."

This can also be an error of the Sonic Update Manager ( or "sgtray.exe" if using the Veritas version) unsuccessfully attempting to update itself. To update, remove this program using the "Add/Remove Programs," control panel. Then download the latest version here and install.

If you decide to permanently remove the Sonic Update Manager, it will not affect the performance of any Sonic software currently installed on the system.

You can also check for updates, which become less frequent when newer versions are out

http://support.sonic...oduct=recordnow

MarshallO

MarshallO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Keith,

I tried everything you suggested, including removing and then reinstalling (via a new download) Sonic Update Manager. Unfortunately, things seem to somehow have gotten WORSE in the process. After the new download, a never-before-seen Update Manager "blank box" (having no message) shows up after the "connecting to server" box first appears when I try to update, followed by the now-famous "unable to connect to the update server" message (now hidden UNDER the Sonic RecordNow! screen; before, it was on TOP)--so, I just removed the darn Update Manager for good (why have something that doesn't function?). I guess Sonic Update Manager and I are incompatible for some reason. Thanks for trying, anyways. MARSHALL :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thanks for letting me know how it went

Sonic 8 is out so updates for 7.1 will be less likely

You can always check for them at Sonic