Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows updates wont install

• Please log in to reply

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
check in your all programs and see if you have in the list..PC HELP AND TOOLS...look for SYSTEM RECOVERY

just remember it you have that feature your going to be doing a full recovery back to the time your computer was bought ...and you will have to do a complete update when your done recovering
on the other hand your planning to reformat so you just want your documents you have in word
those documents will be there you should be able to retrieve them its kinda like renewing your excel program only you went backwards in time to get a second chance

Advertisements

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
so what about music and other files like norton and spyware detector

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If they are the only two updates which won't install, turn automatic updates off

If they only show when you try to run those programmes, don't run those Office programmes

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
other files are ok do you have system recovery notons ok office ok

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
i have system recovery i did it

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
everthing will be there

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok first let me try to turn auto updates off first, how would i go about doin that

Edited by unearth203, 01 September 2006 - 02:51 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, security centre, click automatic updates at the bottom, put the dot in turn off, click apply

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
can you get to your files
are you able to open word

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok i did it, yeah i can access word but cant use it without the cd key, so i use the word processor

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This has a lot going for it if you need an Office Suite

OpenOffice.org is an open-source, multiplatform and multilingual office suite comparable with MS Office.
It is compatible with all other major office suites and is free to download, use, and distribute. It was previously known as StarOffice before it became an open-source project.

OpenOffice comes with OpenWriter - a word processor, OpenCalc - a spreadsheet and OpenImpress - a presentational package.

The first office suite to use the new OASIS OpenDocument format, the future-proof international standard for office software

Easy to install, with a whole new look and feel, matched to the type of computer in use
More intuitive, more easy to use than ever, with a host of new usability features
Complete with Base: an easy-to-use database manager with a fully integrated database
Compatible with other software packages - now understands even obscure and rarely used features in major competitors.

You may download OpenOffice.org Version 2 completely free of any licence fees, use it for any purpose - private, educational, government and public administration, commercial - and pass on copies free of charge to family, friends, students, employees, etc.

The version offered for download here is the Windows version. Versions for other platforms are available from OpenOffice.org.

http://www.filehippo...oad_openoffice/

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
this is just a alternative for office? so i can uninstall office?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is compatible with Office

If Office keeps asking for the product key then it isn't much use, however if you have enough room on the hard drive, it can stay there, just don't click on anything which starts it

If you are in education, college, you could check with them because a lot of colleges get Office licenses for a lot less than you would pay for it, even if you get the student edition

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok i got it but what am i supposed to do with it

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This explains it