Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Address Finder S.O.S.

• Please log in to reply

yvon40177

yvon40177

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
Does anyone know a site or a safe download shareware program where I can find out an IP Address.
As far as I know (my computer knowledge) which I'm not sure it's right or not. I believe if you have an IP Address you can find out where an E-mail was sent from?
I know it doesn't give exact information but should give a town or state or country?
If anyone knows I would appreciate the help. I am trying to help my girlfriend who fell for the most common of scamming.
So I told her let's try to get as much information about these people before we go any farther.
Thank you ahead of time,
Yvonne

Edited by yvon40177, 21 August 2006 - 11:27 AM.

Advertisements

Gotham

Gotham

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
It is GTG policy not to get involved in personell issues. We can not help you with Tracing the IP adress. Sorry that we can not be more helpful.

yvon40177

yvon40177

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's ok Gotham I will figure it out. I love solving mystery's like these. I know there is software you can buy I will find it. Thought might be a shareware program though.
No problem. I am a Friend to the rescue anytime they need me, no matter what their problem is.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What you will actually find is just who the person connected with to send the email. It will give you a country but won't go any deeper - so forget finding out which state and which town and what not because you won't get that detail without getting the jurisidiction involved in whichever country it goes to. In some countries this is then handled on a state-by-state basis, but as you've got no way to work this out, you're stuffed anyway. Plus the email address you have is probably fake anyway, and the IP address often forged.

I would have your girlfriend put this down to experience and remember that if something is too good to be true, it usually is.

yvon40177

yvon40177

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Very good information I appreciate that very much. I didn't know if someone could forge an IP address, email address I thought so. I did tell her that her money is gone because there are so many people this is happening to the governments can't get everyone. I was curious with the IP thing which country they were coming from though.
I told her too send all her emails to me (her printer doesn't work), then I will print them all then she can take it to the local authorities. I told her they will probably only make a report again due to they are probably not from this country and millions of people are getting scammed they can't help everyone.
I told her it could be worse even though it's pretty sad and bad too, I told her others get burned more. She was told a poor me story and this person wanted money for a sick child and she fell for it, then they tried to pull a few more on her. It is quite crazy but luckily I found out and got her too realize what they were doing. I know God was watching out for her and she said why did he allow that to happen. I told her he can't control our actions but it's a lesson learned and she will be able to share her story which will teach others not to fall for it. And she can be aware and if she hears someone talking about this she can teach someone else about it.
But since I'm such a curious person and always learning about computers, that is where the IP information came in my mind.
I knew that some scammers say they are from another country but they are really in the U.S. so that is why I was wondering about the IP Finder. I wanted to see if their IP address was in the U.S. or out of Country.
Thanks again for your reply. I appreciate your time.
Even this post will help others I'm sure to remind everyone about scammers are out there and to never send money to strangers.
Sincerely,
Yvonne