Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

change fat to ntfs on xp

• Please log in to reply

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Another problem is GONE!!! THANKS!!! :whistling: Now turns on fast and right to XP. Your solution for the dirty file solved another PC in this house too! Makes me wonder where that came from this week. At least its FIXED TIMES TWO.
OK, I installed two drives in the beast a
Plextor daul layer DVD burner and Sony CD burner and removed the odd one that came in it. Nic used driver guide toolkit and made a backup of all the drivers for the beast, (why we needed a fresh disk burner, oddball had a sticky door) So if we lose everything it won't take long to reinstall all fresh useing a new KEY. Yes that's on its way too. I hate the thought of thrwing away a VALID KEY but if it comes to it, it won't hurt bad. By continueing to use this valid key that is encrypted to an unavailibe XP Pro SP1 CD I am unable to do reinstall/repairs with my new version CD as far as I know. "You can never cross a bridge until you get there", lets move on.
I think I'm ready to change from FAT32 to NTFS. I thought we could clone to the fresh fromated other new 120 gig HD in it for safety then format it again when were done if all goes well. I have a few clone softwares, the one I use most is WD Lifegaurd, it works fine with other brands but STEALS the letter "C" when it does it. In this case since they would be Identical at that moment it won't matter. Making a clone is probably a waste of time, with the luck I'm having following your lead.
Your call. Lets change FAT to NTFS and do a little tweaking next. With the cooling system and monitoring this has we should be able to push it a little. BTW I found four more fans on the HardDrive lock boxes. 13 fans, and IBM was quite impressed yesterday but could not determine what it was made for.
1. Next PLEASE!
Sincerely, CRUNCH :blink: :help: THANKS AGAIN!!! BEST SITE EVER!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...you ready for this?

Click Start, then Run, select cmd from the dropdown menu, and click "Ok".

At the command prompt, type convert C: /fs:ntfs and press "Enter".

If necesary, type exit and press "Enter" to end the command session.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: Wannabe1, That went very well!!! I did have to answer one aditional Q, "what is the name of the volume that you wish to change?".
Ran PCPitstop got highest score yet, but still not impressive based on what I'm getting with Tulations overclocked to 1.8Ghz. Pitstop shows the BEAST a tad underclocked. BIOS appears to give me RAM options but haven't found a way to nudge the CPUs a little. If it's on the board, would you know? By pitstop's evaluation like machines (P4 3.0Ghz) are getting 1000 points higher on CPU speed rating. Thus effecting the overall score.
I switched RAM from auto to something like "excellerated manual" and let the numbers do their own thing. It has three choices on three different things in memory tweaking. Choices were something like "auto", excellerated manual", and just "manual" in the manual choices the numbers become bold and accessible, in auto they are grey and not accessible. Perhaps this is something to not be screwing with as first attempt would no longer boot and had to clear cmos, and put it back. elsewhere is choice of "optimal" and "default".
NOW, back to your turn. What's next? I could photo the BIOS and post them, if you need to see correct options given. This thing has far greater potential than what it's running, but no longer has any errors and very fast boot. THANK YOU!!! Crunch :blink:

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: :help: 3:00 AM , does anyone sleep. Got the CPU cranked up 200 more Mhz and never touched the RAM settings and defragged again after change to NTFS. Made a very nice improvement on PCPITSTOP. left RAM cause it scores 8000 on RAM speed (whatever that means) but the CPU has passed my hot tulations finally. I'm happy but open to suggestions for any increases or fun. We have several to spare so we just want to learn and play, while I've still got my little boy :woot:
If you come up with anything to do with the "BEAST" let us know please. Just blew a grand at geek's.com so we are going to have alot of problems next month. School starts so we will be hurting for time. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!! :blink: :) THANKS AGAIN!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Be careful not to push your hardware TOO hard. There's a fine line that runs between optimum and oops.

Try applying some of these XP Tweaks. Those in red are performance related tweaks.

Glad the Beast is getting to where you want it... :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 26 August 2006 - 12:42 PM.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: Wannabe1, you are a fantastic guy! I have fried a few mobos and CPUs from overclocking and sloppy soldering, even left an added on harddrive temporary loose and it slid over the sound card and ruined both. I buy parts off ebay and from geeks.com so we have far more computers than sense. This server BEAST is about the ultimate machine. We overclock the heck out of Celeron Tulations, but have a terrible time with athlons. I know celerons are actual speed rated such as the 1.4Ghz should really be 1.4 but we can run alot of them in asus boards at 1.8Ghz, while the athlon number is actually a "rating" (NOT REAL SPEED) so a 2600+ might run 2.18Ghz. Blowing money isn't a real concern, it's my BOYS, they are 12 and 15 now. Parts are cheap compared to alternatives, and we have finished over thirty this year each better than the last. The youngest son took to programming like a duck in water, (must be nice not to have your head full of old school). This Pentium daul processor /daul 120hdds "BEAST" is just a toy I wanted to blow the boys away, although it's the only one we didn't build, I searched far and wide to prove that "Dad" is still the best. But the little fart is sure alot sharper than me at pushing buttons on a keyboard. NOW, I would like to find some good uses for it. GOT ANY????????
We are on vacation in the Blackhills tonight and I'm on a PC I finished at 4:00AM this morning. It's not a laptop. I stuck a AMD 2200XP on a ASUS ATX board in a micro case with DVD burner and camera card reader and packed a 15" lcd w/sound. Let the boys break it in on the way here today by running it on an inverter in our suburban.
A dozen large boxes came yesterday from geek's looks like fifteen cases and alot of mobos, SO we will be on with alot of problems since no two ever act the same (always different problems)
THANKS ALOT!!! I have learned so much on this site and it has really helped bring my boys closer to me and smarter about the future in computers. K :blink: