Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card vs. Processor

• Please log in to reply

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
My friend is thinking about getting a X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card but would like a Intel Core 2 duo processor too. He doesn't know which one to buy first though. Some help please.

Friend's curent computer.
Intel Pentium D @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte i-DNA motherboard
2GB DDR2 memory
500GB Raid 0 hard drive
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
ATI 256MB Radeon x600 Hypermemory
Ultra 550-WATT X-Connect Titanium w/UV Blue
NZXT Guardian Black gaming case

Thanks and cheers

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
His processor is plenty powerful enough for right now, and with the problem with supply, most companies are charging a pretty steep premium on Core 2 processors right now. If he can wait a couple of months for the processor upgrade, he will probably save $40 or $50.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
The sound card he has is plenty good enough. Why does he want to change it? I really like my Audigy 2. When the timing's right I would suggest the processor and not worry about the sound card for now.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Processor, sound cards are what you get when you have everything else you want to the best standard you can afford.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Just as a side note, it looks like the price on Core 2 processors has already begun to settle down. A 6400 on Newegg is now listed at $242 as opposed to the $299 it was listed at a week or two ago.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats usually when supply starts to come nearer to demand, the fact that so many people wanted the limited number of first batch chips drove up prices higher than they were supposed to be.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Got to love the laws of economics in action.

crazywak

crazywak

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
those processors are a wee bit much i think i would wait a while on that and get the sound card now, and check this site if your looking for good prices

http://www.newegg.com/

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
It's not just supply and demand that drives the price of the processors up. It's the manufacturer trying to recover their R&D costs.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The manufacturer saw none of those price increases on release they were sold at the going wholesale price which they released a month previous the online price rises over those expected was all down to the stores. The manufacturer price was and is still the same.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Well obviously... But as wholesale drops after they recover their R&D, so does retail. Simple economics.. I know, I am a retailer (VAR) and CET.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah still the same price at the mo, itll be a while before intel makes up the cash for the core2s and upcoming quad cores they spent more money than they like to say publicly.