Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with shortcut

• Please log in to reply

Sitalee

Sitalee

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'shortcut to my shared Folder.ink' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network recource is available, and then try again.

thats the message i get when i try to open my shared folder.

i know in my computer my D: drive is missing too. which is where the shared folder is located

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sitalee...

The missing drive would appear to be the problem. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". In the left pane, double click on "Storage" then click on "Disk Management". Give it a moment to load the information...is the D: drive shown in the right pane? If so, what is the information given for this drive?

wannabe1

Sitalee

Sitalee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
no, its not there

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok thats the problem... your D: drive was either deleted, or sometimes this happens because the voltages on a hard drive tend to mess up the hard drives in your case it deleted your D: drive... meaning all the data that was on the D: drive is now gone

Sitalee

Sitalee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i know its not deleted because every now and then it'll come back. its weird, somtimes it'll be gone for lets say a month and then one day i'll restart the computer and its back.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
And when it's there, the shortcut to the folder works, right?

Had you done anything inside the case just prior to the drive starting to wink in and out of existance? Install any new hardware?

Sitalee

Sitalee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
nope. nothing

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot into the BIOS Setup and see if the drive is shown in there and if so, how it is set to detect. It needs to be set to automatically detect...Auto

Sitalee

Sitalee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
how do i do that? :whistling:

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
turn on your pc, while starting up, at the bottom of the screen you will see press __ key to enter set up. just press the key it askes you to press.
if not ......... well it depends, all pc's have different ways to acces the bios but try presing the DELET, F2, F1, F11, F12 buttons.... and another thing, sometimes you have to be really quick at doing so other wise the pc will just start normal. if this happens, just reboot the pc and once again press those keys until you are through