Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Login questions XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ok, here is my situation. I am looking for some ideas to help me complete this task.

I have a laptop that is running XP SP2.

What I need it for is sometimes users need to log in locally to the machine and change the IP settings for local testing.

Other times users need to log into the domain and access network resources where the IP settings should be set for DHCP.

What I have done so far is created a local admin account on the laptop to allow them to log in locally and added the users domain accounts to the user accounts so they have access.

My question is this, is there a way to be able to make it so when they want to log into the domain they dont have to fuss with the IP settings.

The problem is after someone has used it locally for testing the next person has to log in and set the IP back to DHCP so they can use network resources.

Looking for suggestions on a good way to do this.

I did look into Hardware Profiles, but that is only if you want to disable or enable hardware, it doesnt work in this case because I need to use the NIC card in both scenarios, just with different settings.

Thanks for any ideas!

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok you are actually confusing me... in any case... if you connect to a network you should have AUTOMATICALLY detect settings enabled... this way if you change locations the computer automatically detects the networks settings and will search for the ip etc...

as far as the dhcp and whatever else, if whatever you are talking about needs an ip assigned to access some type of network, then you are talking about a gateway or proxy, and that is something setup by the network at your location and cant actually be changed via your laptop...

you shouldnt have to fuss with changing ips all the time though, thats old news... But if where you are requires a proxy or dhcp then you will have to. Try getting your work or location to get a router that auto runs a dhcp...

If you connect wirelessly with the laptop, the windows wireless manager allows you to also create and save custom connections for specific locations, so that each time you DONT have to change an ip, but instead you can just choose the connection with your saved settings for whatever location.

That make sense? Im a networker so I could help you, but the things you said dont exactly make sense, and I would have to know more about the network setup of the actual location.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Dont get confused with the network part, thats not really the focus. I know its confusing I will try and clarify.

Basically, I need this laptop to be able to log in locally and on a domain.

Here is the scenario, I take the laptop to test something off the network, just local to my desk so I set the IP on the laptop as 192.168.2.3.

When I am finished you need the laptop to access a presentation in the conference room. You create the presentation and put it on a share on the server. You take the laptop and you have to go in and change the static IP to DHCP so you can access the network share and open the presentation.

Except every person in the company has a different private network address at their desks for testing.

I need it so that people dont have to go in and change settings.

I hope this helps, if not let me know and I will try and clarify.

Thanks

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok well your network is setup to request different ips for each user, instead of automatically configuring it, which provides extra security as well as each user having their own testing grounds as you say. The problem is having to type in the IP manually because the network doesnt automatically configure it for you.

If you look in your Network Connections in control panel, you can CREATE a new connection, and select your type for each area, IN the end if you do things correctly, with correct IP and correct username/pass if required...>>>

Each user can have a shortcut on their desktop that is a connection to their specific IP so they dont have to type it in.

Or if there is 1 user on the pc, you can create multiple connections on the desktop with peoples names so people know which one to connect to.

Since your network does not automatically assign these features, you will either
A: have to manually type in the ip everytime :whistling: or
B: take the time to make those connections through NETWORK CONNECTIONS, they are basically connections that do save your information for the type of connection you need at that given time...

If you have XP and 10 users on it, each user can have their own files, own connections on their desktop with the saved information for the specific IP to link to or logon to.

That help any? take a look at network connections and you will see what I mean...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I will take a look. I will post when I have completed something.

Thanks for the ideas.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
oh yes, i am thinking if you are connected wirelessly you may need to use the windows wireless manager to create these connections or save them.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No, none of it is wireless.

Is there a way that you can connect network settings to a user login?

Depending on what user you log in as, sets different network settings?

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
yes, you need to create a connection for each person. I think the vpn setting in create network connection may be what you are looking for. It is really hard to say without actually being there seeing the way you network is setup...

Generally speaking, the pain in the butt of typing in ips is because of the way the network is configured...