Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer takes too long to restart

• Please log in to reply

AniDanny

AniDanny

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but I know there's a ton of programs running in the background. Is there anything out there that will tell me what I need and what I don't? I'm thinking something along the lines of a program that will scan them and say "this is needed for your computer to function, that is not" or else a list of all the essential programs and I'll pick amongst all the others to figure out what to get rid of.

Also, if there's anything besides the programs running in the background that might be the problem, give me suggestions and I'll see if it's something else. My computer's getting to the point it takes about five minutes to shut down and ten to fifteen minutes to start back up and be fully operational.

If it helps any: I'm running Windows XP Pro on an IBM ThinkPad T60 (laptop).

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
some can be disabled at start up some can be safely removed.
others are important to the system .

in your add n remove programs is were you find what you want to remove
did you consider posting a hijack log in the malware forum to rule out that possibilty
before you attempt to remove crucial programs

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I'll try a HJT log, but when my computer starts up there's usually about 65 processes running, and I'm not sure whether HJT would catch them all or not. I guess it's more an issue of telling some of them to stop starting up when the computer starts up (is there a list of that stored somewhere on my computer?) than actually getting rid of the programs altogether.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
GO START>>RUN>>TYPE IN ...msconfig..CLICKOK

ON THE START UP TAB LOOK TO SEE WHAT STARTS THAT YOU DONT USE THEN UNCHECK IT
THEN REBOOT

GO START>>RUN>>TYPE IN...services.msc...CHECK TO TO SEE WHAT OTHER APLICATIONS ARE STARTED THERE TOO THEN HIGHLIGHT CLICK STOP ON THE LEFT

ctrl alt and delte task window will appear Look under processes and applicatoin or all tabs see how much is being used

Edited by rushin1nd, 22 August 2006 - 12:22 PM.

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I got rid of a few things in the msconfig startup menu, but nothing in the services.msc because I wasn't sure what was safe to get rid of and what wasn't. I did ctrl + alt + del and I'm now down to only 58 processes.

I couldn't tell if you were telling me to stop everything in the services.msc list, or just certain things, so I thought it best to not touch anything.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
the services are not really disabled but stopped they are kinda in a sleep mode and start up when you use them like for instant you stop messenger but it can be activate by clicking its icon or the all programs
windows keep them so they are accessable at a faster pace for its loading proceedure but how ever if you feel comforatable about not stopping any of them thats fine other programs can be disabled as well but i dont know what you have installed you can stop some in the safemode under services but then again you have to know what your doing only looking for familliar programs and closing them but they can be started back up when you need them

negative_silent

negative_silent

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
At startup, you do not need any programs/application to run in order for Windows to fully load. Remove any program under the startup tab that you are not sure of, it is even safe to remove every single one of them, but if you like your Anti-Virus or IM Messenger to load at startup then you can keep those.

58 running processes is a ridiculously high number, normally, you only need between 27-38 at the very most.

You may also want to download the free version of Registry Mechanic to fix your registry and Diskeeper to defragment your files for a faster computer.

Edited by negative_silent, 22 August 2006 - 06:59 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
WinXP Unload DLLs: Go to Start - Run - type in "REGEDIT" without quotes and press enter.
The Registry Editor opens up. Now use the lefthand explorer pane to find this key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer"
Still in the lefthand pane, right click on the Explorer folder and choose
"New - KEY". Give it a name of "AlwaysUnloadDLL" (without quotes and capital letters are important).
Inside that key change the default string to 1 and close regedit and reboot.

This tweak is perfect for low resource systems.
The drawback of using this is a very small slowdown in the initial opening of programs,
but this isn't half as bad as it sounds.
And the benefit of using this tweak far outweighs the drawback

if you really want stop your running processes give this a try

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I'm using Registry Mechanic now, I'll go take off all the startup apps save for those that I want (which will probably just be AVG, I'll start up AIM on my own). What does Diskeeper do? Is it the same as the windows Defragmenter? Or is there something that makes it better? If I get rid of a bunch of background apps and I'm still not happy with the speed of my computer, I'll try the DLL thing, but my computer hasn't complained to me about low resources, so I should be fine as far as that goes.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ok just keep unchecking your applications in the safemode rebooting each time

Advertisements

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ok, I removed four or five things from msconfig and 20 or so from services.msc. My computer still starts up with 58, and after having started up AIM and firefox and getting into the full swing of things, I'm now up to 57. I don't get how that works, but whatever... As before, I look at the list of processes and see things I know I need, and things I'm not sure of, nothing I know I can get rid of... Only four things take up over 10K of memory though: AIM, Explorer, Firefox (all of which I want to keep) and svchost, but I have no idea what that is or whether it's safe to close it... =\

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
What does Diskeeper......................its a defragmenter for windows..

does it run at start up

you dont need it delete it

take it out of add n remove programs

what else you got there as far as programs

they maybe not related to malware but you may not need them in general

negative_silent

negative_silent

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

they maybe not related to malware but you may not need them in general

That is what I am thinking.

Have you posted a log of HJT in the other board yet? The experts can help you see which is needed and what is trash.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
some programs run for no reason they update take your resource for nothing like pc doctor

just dont need them

thats why i wanted to know what programs you have

Edited by rushin1nd, 22 August 2006 - 10:58 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you can try this also

go to control panel...add and remove...on the the left click on windows components
uncheck each one follow the prompts