Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm a bit Dumbfounded

• Please log in to reply

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Yeah, I mean yours. Radeon and GeForce are the two major graphics processors around, so people will often refer to a card by it's processor type and not necessarly the manufacturer.

ah that makes sense
I'm still looking at different cards, I'll tell you if I ever make a final decision

Advertisements

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
alright well I'm looking at different Graphics/Video Cards and I was wondering what specs should I be looking

like clock speed, memory, etc.....

EDIT:

I'm currently looking at this one
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1130987912212

I had trouble finding AGP compatable cards on the Best Buy website because like you said PGI is taking over but this one looks to fit my needs and in the price range i'm willing to spend

tell me what you think?

and is that one better then the one my friend was looking at
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1093468058401

sry for the influx of questions, just trying to get the best possible thing I can :whistling:

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 24 August 2006 - 10:13 PM.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Your card is better than the one your friend was looking at. The X1k series is two generations ahead of the 9k series, so you'll be getting a better card. And the X1300 is a decent card, so you'll be good to go once you get it.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Your card is better than the one your friend was looking at. The X1k series is two generations ahead of the 9k series, so you'll be getting a better card. And the X1300 is a decent card, so you'll be good to go once you get it.

thats awesome because its also on sale and is cheaper....so I think I'm gunna get this one

I'm currently looking at this one
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1130987912212

which I'm double checking is the good one and also double checking won't bottleneck my computer...just want to make sure its completely compatible

:whistling:

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 25 August 2006 - 10:45 AM.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
deleted post

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 26 August 2006 - 02:47 PM.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Alright I know that I basically stopped posting- been doing lots of stuff and trying to get enough money to get the card...but alright I finally found where I can get that card (ATI Radeon X1300 PRO 256 MB AGP inter) and at a really great price (on sale)-
Link to Graphics Card

I just had one more quick question before I pull out my credit card and charge it....I was looking at the Radeon X1600 but I can't seem to find one thats AGP compatible, its all PCI-e so I'm wondering if the card is exclusively PCI-e or if I'm just not looking in the right place...

:whistling: Thanks in advance-

P.S. hopefully I'll buy the card in the link above later today or tomorrow (before sale runs out) unless you have something to say that would tell me not too...

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Sorry for the late reply, but I've been on vacation. Many of the later cards aren't coming out on AGP until much later, or even not at all. I don't know about the X1600, but it's possible that it won't come out on AGP. The X1300 should work great for you though, so I wouldn't worry.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been on vacation. Many of the later cards aren't coming out on AGP until much later, or even not at all. I don't know about the X1600, but it's possible that it won't come out on AGP. The X1300 should work great for you though, so I wouldn't worry.

Thanks
no worries on the late replies because I still haven't gotten it yet :whistling:

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
lol

I think I'm finally gunna get it

not a different card same one

ATI Radeon X1300 PRO 256 MB AGP

reason I waited is so the price would go back down (in late AUG early SEP it was 69.99) to 79.99...finally did

so either order it tomorrow (or soon) and get it soon...
Posted Image

http://www.circuitci...oid=144054#tabs

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 25 September 2006 - 12:13 AM.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
I'm getting the Graphics Card tomorrow

I would have gotten it today but the Circuit City I went to was out of stock so I'm going to one a bit further away that has it in stock...Alright I'll tell you how it all goes.... :whistling:

Advertisements

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Alright I have the Graphics Card-

best case scenario I get it installed tomorrow/this weekend....

I'll keep you updated.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
My computer is currently at Best Buy getting the Graphis card intalled...turns out there was some sort of problem...somethings not compatible so to speak....

well here's the story...

Guy put Card in my comp...comp wouldn't recognize it....guy put my card in different comp...that comp recognized it...guy took completely different card and put it in my comp it recognized it....so there doing a test...They're saying it might be a motherboard problem...but its all good because its under warranty so if it is a motherboard problem i get a free motherboard so no worries.....

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
All right so basically the graphics card wouldn't work in my computer and it worked in another computer...and another graphics card worked in mine so neither are faulty it was just some sort of "million dollar" problem....and there's no reason to replace anything so I returned my ATI card and got my money, now I'm looking at NVIDIA cards....

The guy told me that my motherboard is NVIDIA optimized and I'm currently looking at these 2 cards

http://www.tigerdire...e...=2&NoMapp=0

http://www.tigerdire...e...=2&NoMapp=0

any in put?

which one you think is better or are they both bad?
do you think it'll run HL2?

last question is the difference between DDR and DDR2 that big?

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 10 October 2006 - 06:41 PM.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
That's strange that the card wouldn't work. Sometime strange things can happen though.

I'd go with the second card you have up there. The first one isn't all that great, but the second one isn't too bad.

DDR2 has a higher clock speed and a better bandwidth than DDR. It can really give you a decent boost.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

That's strange that the card wouldn't work. Sometime strange things can happen though.

I'd go with the second card you have up there. The first one isn't all that great, but the second one isn't too bad.

DDR2 has a higher clock speed and a better bandwidth than DDR. It can really give you a decent boost.

Alright I was just concerned if my Motherboard could handle DDR2....I'm actually trying to look at other cards besides those two, but once you get away from ATI the only good AGP cards (or atleast what I'm looking for) are more expensive nVidia's that I'd probably need to upgrade to a Gig of RAM for.....

If at any point you need the stats on my comp I got them when I tried to get the ATI installed so if you need them to check on something just tell me...

at this point I'm toying with the idea of doing what my friend suggested and saving up and build my own PC....building my own PC has always been something I wanted to do but I never had the money...not that I have enough money for what I want but hey while I'm looking around I'm shopping out parts and savin up the money......I figure for what i want in a computer it'd cost me at most 1,000 to build but thats if I wanted to build the comp I want....then again I'm lookin at like the Intel Duo Processor, like 2 gigs of RAM, ATI Radeon X1900, etc....I mean if I ever actually start building a PC then I'd probably not get all the high end stuff I want but hey I can dream....

but for now I'm just shoppin around, and if I find a good card that i want for a good price, with what I want then I'll probably buy it....

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 13 October 2006 - 05:04 PM.