Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer doesn't start properly

• Please log in to reply

Doctor Sonic

Doctor Sonic

• Pip
  • 5 posts
About 3 months ago my computer stopped tuning on properly.
When switched on the monitor would come on then after about a second would go to power save and shut down. At first I thought it was a problem with the monitor but then noticed that the lights on my Keyboard and modem did not come on and realised that it was the computer itself that the problem was coming from.

At the time I was able to get round this problem by swicthing the computer off at the mains, then back on again. When switched back on it would start up normally.
After a while it started to need switched off and several times before it would start properly.
It was then suggested to me that I should try switching it on, leaving it for 10mins then switching it off and on again - this worked. However after a while it started needing left on for longer when switched on to get it to start up properly. 10 mins became 20 mins, then 20 mins became 30mins. Then one day it wouldn't start up at all and after numerous attempts started beeping. The next day it also refused to start up properly at all, though after a few attempts the beeping stopped.
The next day to my suprise it started working again but now needed to be left about 40mins before being turned on and off again. Also in addition to needing left for that 40mins it also needed to be turned on and off twice when the 40mins was over before it would start up. Still it continued to work in this way.
Then a couple of weeks later it started needing turned on and off 3 times after 40mins was up in order to get it to come on properly.
Then about a month ago I turned it on once to see what looked like a sort of flash of electricity towards the bottom of the monitor, neverless the computer started up as normal.
The next day however, it did not come on properly at all and has not come on properly ever since.

I am using Windows XP and the monitor is a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 740 SB.

If anyone can help me sort out this problem I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Edited by Doctor Sonic, 22 August 2006 - 11:14 AM.

Advertisements

negative_silent

negative_silent

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have ran across this problem before, I believe it is a power supply issue. How long have you had the computer and how long did was it able to function before this incident?

Doctor Sonic

Doctor Sonic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've had the computer for over 4 years now and this is the first time I've had a real problem with it.

Also something I forgot to mention before. For the last weeks that I could get it to come on properly (when I had to wait 40 mins each time) the fans would often be very noisey, leading me to the idea that it is overheating for some reason.

Edited by Doctor Sonic, 24 August 2006 - 10:08 AM.