Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic updates

• Please log in to reply

magaen

magaen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
straight to the point because i have had 18 months non stop jibberish i need to know how and what do i have to do to make sure automatic updates and windows updates are being installed on my computer without me having to do it manually bcos i am fed up right now. Whenever i try doing something i takes me to the microsoft updtaes page and theres like 260 updates whch have failed to download since 2003!!!!!!! so now im having to update manually on a daily check basis which is DOING MY HEAD IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME LIKE CAN I INSTALL SOMETHING WHICH WILL RESET THE UPDATES TO WORK PROPERLY OR ANYTHING

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to your control panel right on system open it click on automatic updates see if it automatic has a green dot in it have it set for what ever time daily then click ok they should go on at that point

Edited by rushin1nd, 22 August 2006 - 05:00 PM.

magaen

magaen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
its okay i managed to browse the internet and came across ths piece of information which amazingly has done the job

FIRSTLY

Resolution (Windows XP only)

1. Stop the "Automatic Updates" service from within "Services" in "Computer Management".
2. Browse to the windows directory, then the system32 then "catroot2" - NOT CATROOT without a number!
3. Delete the contents of that directory, including the subdirectories.
4. Reboot the machine.

Resolution 3a (Windows XP)

In some cases we have had to rename the "catroot2" directory (such as putting .old after it) then rebooting for the problem to go away. You cannot delete the folder as it will probably be in use. After rebooting, Windows will create a new copy of the "catroot2" folder and this should resolve the problem.

THEN DO THE FOLLOWING

Copy the text below in to a new notepad document and save it as reset.cmd. Double click on the file to run it.

net stop "Automatic Updates"
del /f /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
net start "Automatic Updates"
wuauclt.exe /detectnow

THEN

Copy the text below in to a new notepad document and save it as repair.cmd. Double click on the file to run it.

net stop bits
net stop /s wuauserv
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\atl.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\jscript.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\softpub.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wuapi.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wuaueng.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wuaueng1.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wucltui.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wups.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wuweb.dll
net start bits
net start wuauserv
wuauclt /detectnow

THEN REBOOT THE ONCE AND SCHEDULE A TIME FOR THE UPDATES AND BOBS YOUR UNCLE!! I CANT BELIEVE I ACTUALLY HAVE DONT IT MY UPDATES ARE WORKING

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting this