Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Many Processes Should Be Running?

• Please log in to reply

unpluggedsb

unpluggedsb

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
All I'm doing on my computer is typing this message. Some programs are running like antivirus and antispyware, but I don't have any programs besides Internet Exporer running.

What I want to know is how many processes should be running on my computer? Windows task manager says there are 59 processes running. Why so many? Are they necessary? If there are so many does this mean I've got spyware running in the background?

Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi unpluggedsb...

Not necesarily. There's 67 processes running on my machine at the moment with three apps open. One reason for so many is that some applications (like Norton) will have several going all the time.

If you want to be absolutely sure, maybe a trip through the G2G Malware Forum would help put your mind at ease. Just follow the steps listed on the page from the link. This can help you clear most of your problems by yourself. If you still have problems after that, post a HiJackThis log there for the experts to help you with.

wannabe1

negative_silent

negative_silent

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Don't feel too bad unpluggedsb, I've seen a computer with 96 running processes...

But as wannabe1 stated in the above post, there are some programs that will run several processes at once. You may have that many processes but have a clean PC, more processes just means that your computer has a lot to do, therefore will result in 'laggness' until you have a fast CPU and lots of RAM.

As of now, I am only running 30 processes. :whistling:

Edited by negative_silent, 22 August 2006 - 07:12 PM.