Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Overheating.

• Please log in to reply

CompLost

CompLost

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

My computer shuts down programs and restarts randomly when playing games that are processor intensive. I downloaded http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php Speedfan to check my temps and they always jump up to around 50C before the comp restarts. Unfortunately, I get a readout that says (Temp 1 Temp 2 Temp 3 Temp 4 Temp 1 Temp Temp and HD0). I have no idea what is what besides the harddrive. I believe that Temp1 is the one that jumps up.

My computer specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 3200
GEFORCE FX 5700LE 256mb
Nforce 2 motherboard
3x 512 mb RAM PC3200 DDR
Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm ATA133

I replaced my power supply so I am pretty sure it isn't causing the restarts (and of course I can see it is overheating).

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Check to make sure all of your fans are working and that there are no obstructions to air flow through the case. Typical air flow is to intake on the front (and side if you have a side fan) and to exhaust at the rear of the case. Make clean any dust accumulation inside of the case. You can use canned air in conjunction with a vacuum cleaner to do this (of course with the computer turned off). Also inspect the fins of the cpu heat sink and make sure there is no dust accumulation. Use canned air to blow out any dust in the fins.

CompLost

CompLost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you for responding.

I have already done all that however. Any other suggestions? I have three extra fans in my case. One blowing out the top, one blowing out the back, and one blowing in the side.

Lots of dust had accumulated on the heatsink, but, like I mentioned, I had alread done this about 2 wks. ago.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
It doesn't sound like airflow at all. It sounds like your VGA that is causing the problem. I am willing to bet that if you disabled the automatic reboots you will see yourself faced with a blue screen outlining the details of the problem. It really does sound like an overheating GPU.

CompLost

CompLost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
What can I do then?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
These might give you some ideas about what you can check
Info on CPU temps,
http://forums.amd.co...showtopic=11807

system cooling and air flow
http://forums.amd.co...showtopic=11388
http://forums.amd.co...showtopic=13092

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

What can I do then?

Well, disable the automatic restarts and find out what kind of error message you get is the first place to start. We can diagnose the error message and tell you where to go from there. If it looks to be VGA related then you can put another one in and see if the symptoms persist.

Tahim79

Tahim79

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi guys! I have the exact same problem and i have disabled automatic restarts but it still just logs off by itself and shuts down.
I have speed fan as well and my temp 1 shoots up to 60c. Doesn't matter what i'm doing. I think it's VGA as well.
I have cleaned out my cpu and checked all of my fans as well. I have installed a new a fan for the board but the graphic's card's still the original.
At start up it makes a weird fan grinding noise and then resumes as normal but the card gets really hot.

I can only watch 5mins of a movie or a clip on youtube before it shuts off.
I at times will leave it idle and come back to it after 2 hrs to find it off as well.
I'll keep watching for you advise to this other member here and try to follow along.

Thank you for you time and support.

Sony

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
CompLost Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Tahim79

Tahim79

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. I have attached the snapshot. Things look fine to me for now but i'm not an expert like you.
Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot.JPG

Tahim79

Tahim79

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi! Things are not looking too well. I started watching a movie and about 3mins in to it, it shut down again.
Last night I had it idle and a couple of hours later it was off again.
This morning I checked my mail and 20mins later it was off once again.
It's really frustrating.
My daughter can't watch an episode of Dora without crying due to the computer shutting down again.
I don't know if it could be the psu?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you!
Sony

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be the PSU not powering correctly.
How old is it?

Tahim79

Tahim79

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I bought it brand new from Future shop 3yrs ago come next week. I know I had gotten extended warrenty for it but I don't know if it's expired yet. But hardware is the only thing they will look at. So if it is a hardware issue then they can fix it. But otherwise looks like I'm on my own. I'll find out tommarow if it is still valid.

But for now it is 3yrs old.
When ever I start to multitask or when ever it starts to work alittle more, it seems like it can't handle the presure and just shuts down. Sounds like us humans!LOL
temp reaches at time to 53c and pow it shuts down.

Thanks